Header and Cam Break In Procedure

I thought I would create this post for those who are building a new motor, putting in a new cam, or buying new ceramic coated headers.

Breaking in your cam:

If you are installing a new cam you should first break it in. The procedure for breaking in a cam is bring your engine up to 2000 RPM and hold it there for 15 - 20 minutes. Once you have done that your cam is now broken in.

Breaking in your ceramic coated headers:

First off if you have installed a brand new cam do not install your ceramic coated headers while still breaking in your cam. If you do you will crack your headers. Break in the cam first with some beat up headers/exhaust manifolds.

Once the cam is broken in it is ok to break in your ceramic coated headers. Breaking in your ceramic coated headers is as easy as heating up your headers until they smoke then turning off your engine to allow them to cool down. Do this 4 - 5 times.

Good luck guys maybe I will see you at the track.

• Sponsors (?)

My ceramic coated headers have never cracked from breakin? Usually cam ppl like to have the rpms vary some during breakin. They dont like idle or high speeds though. At least this is how Ive always done it with zero problems.

FWIW, I always change the oil right after the cam breakin to get that first load of metal crap (and cam lube) out of the motor. I change the 2d at ~100 miles, after the rings have seated, and then start the normal change cycle at that point.

BUT! Oil changes-at-rebuild are many and varied, thats just how I do it, others may disagree. I figure 3x oil changes is cheap to help start a $1-5k motor off right.