Header Bolt Alignment Question

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by hssnpny, Feb 11, 2013.

1. hssnpny

hssnpny Member

I removed the headers to replace leaky gaskets. Last tube on the passenger side header, I can't get either bolt to start in. I can get bolts in the other 3 tubes no problem, but whether I leave other bolts loose, tight, only leave one other bolt in, I can't get a bolt started on the #4 tube.

I tried an inspection mirror and flashlight, and it does look like the alignment is slightly off compared to other holes on that header. These headers have been on for 8 years, with all the heat cycles is it possible to have 'sprung' out of alignment?

Are there any tips/tricks for getting this bad boy back on?

Thanks
  2. madspeed

madspeed Colonel Mustard Mod Dude Founding Member

Somewhere on a hill in the PA wildnerness
    i take these are individual flanges and not a one piece flange?
  3. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

Are they still connected to the midpipe? Sometimes it's impossible to get them in there with the midpipe connected.

Kurt
    ratio411 likes this.
  4. 02 281 GT

02 281 GT Active Member

Loosen the mid pipe if it's still connected, then try to start the #4 bolts first. If you can get them to start, try the others. Just a matter of trying different combinations until something works.
  5. hssnpny

hssnpny Member

Yeah, individual flanges (BBK unequal shorties). Mid pipe is off already. I have tried to put #4 in first, but you know how you have to play twister to get some of these bolts in . . . for #4 I'm facing away from the car so I can turn my hand backwards to get the right angle, so I don't have a free hand to hold the header too. I'll try that again, maybe I get my wife to hold the header in place while I try.

Thanks for the suggestions. So it sounds like it's not common for a header to 'adjust' itself over time?
  6. toyman

toyman Active Member

How about using a stud on that hole.
  7. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

No, those BBK headers have a massive flange. They don't warp too easily. You just have to move it around a little until you get it right. With old iron heads, it might not be a bad idea to re chase the threads with a tap if they give you trouble to make sure they aren't cross threaded, or just full of debris.

Kurt