Header Install Problems

Zstang66

Apr 30, 2016
Bellingham
Hey guys I have a set of full length Herman headers and the drivers side I can't get the drivers side to fit in place. I think I am hitting the shock tower. Any one else has this problem? How do I fix or any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 135
When I installed headers (can't remember the brand, but they were tri-y) I had to put a drop bracket on the frame end of the power steering ram. I noticed the power steering pump in the engine shot in your other thread...

What are the bolts in this first pic for??
513009-88c72553159d2c083624ba9d7709b392.jpg

My '65 289 didn't have those.

Are they on driver side, too?? Is there one for every exhaust port?

My stabbing in the dark guess is that you might have a later, '70s/'80s heads with the EGR/smog pump provisions.

Good luck!

Yeah I guess I am not sure of the heads that are on there but I got that problem fixed. Just had to grind little spots for the bolts. The old exhaust manifold had oem spots for them. And yes my car has power steering I disconnected the power steering ram but did not take it off all the way. Do I have to???? I brought the bracket. I might get new Motor mounts that are adjustable to see if that helps.

I think those bolts are for exhaust ports. And yes there is one for ever port. Also here is one more pic from the drivers side.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 127
I have no help, but I do have a? about how you got the stock manifolds off without stripping old bolts. Heat? PB Blaster? Good luck with the header install I am about to attempt in a few days.
I just hit them with WD40 night before and they came right out. The harder part was there is no room to work. Good luck hope u don't have problems like I am having.

Reactions: 1 user
You might try loosening the motor mounts and jacking the engine up. I remember there being less room on the driver side... If I remember correctly, a 2x4 between the oil pan and a floor jack should work (unless you have a cherry picker, in which case that'd be the smart way to go).

I think the extra ground clearance helped with the install, when the engine was up.

You shouldn't have to completely remove the PS ram. I just removed the old bracket, installed the headers and put on the drop bracket.

I was 18 when I did this, and my dad was supervising, so I don't perfectly remember all the pain... :)

Oh yeah!!:

I don't think you'll need new motor mounts. I did change mine with new OEM, but only after I discovered one was broken (the rubber insulator separated from the metal) long after the header install.

Yeah I might just put new adjustable ones in. I am thinking if I am going to loosen them I might want to just replace them. And for those plugs on the head are from thermactor system that came on '66 289s that are from California. Dumb smog stuff. I am need to do some research to find what are some good heads.