Header paint

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
Whats everyone used to paint there headers with? I seen some stuff by VHT but it says you need to go threw a heating process to make it durable. Has anyone used it,and how well does it hold up?Does long tubes get hotter then shorties or equals?Also my bay will be red and my engine combo is black and flat black.So would white headers look sweet in the mix? peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

its funny you posted this i just updated my thread i coated my headers with VHT and yes they need heat to get it to harden until then it stays kinda soft, but all you need to do is hit the paint a small torch to harden it here are some pics
PICT0007-7.jpg

PICT0008-8.jpg

btw i did the mid pipe too

If you want it to last, the only real way to do it is with a true Jet Hot ceramic coating. Otherwise....its just a matter of time before the paint is burnt and flaking off.

My Kooks LT's are going on 5-years now and they look as good as they did the day I bought them.

If you want it to last, the only real way to do it is with a true Jet Hot ceramic coating. Otherwise....its just a matter of time before the paint is burnt and flaking off.

My Kooks LT's are going on 5-years now and they look as good as they did the day I bought them.

:stupid: agreed i had gibson equal length shorties on my 89 f150 and the coating lasted a good 10+ years, only reason i say plus is i dont have the truck anymore

I sand blasted my headers and shot the POR stuff with a gun and they didn't even smoke when I started my car for the first time. I think its pretty good stuff. I heard a guy painted the hot side of his turbo with that stuff and its still holding up. Its good for 1400 degrees or somethin like that.