Header problems...

big T

Feb 25, 2004
Hawaii, oahu
Is this normal for JBA stainless headers. Some sort of bubbling going on and per the installer, stainless doesnt do that, chrome maybe cause its a coating, but stainless shouldnt be bubbling at all. Im thinking maybe jba sent me the chrome one's instead of the stainless by mistake, but my part# comes out to stainless. Anyway, I sent a photo to them to get them replaced and we will see what happens.

• Sponsors (?)

Stang|ess said:
Bigger pic? Anyways, if it doesn't peel, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Wouldn't want to spend money on getting the headers replaced on something purely cosmetic.
Yeah, Iwas thinking that, but robert/exh sys said that it would only get worse. It would peel off over time and simply rust out so I should just take care of it now. Called JBA and was informed that they shipped chrome plating instead of the stainless I requested. They also related that chrome may/may not blister depending on what the car is used for and how hot the headers get. I told them that it was a cop car on the original order so go figure... They are going to replace them anyways with the ceramic coated 1-5/8" headers at no charge so Ill wait and see when they decide to ship them.

Stang|ess said:
But then you have to pay for labor again.
Rob is gonna cut me a deal on the install. JBA makes notice in their warranty agreement that they are not responsible for the labor charges on any defective product so Ill just eat it. I just want my car to have a problem free header.

big T said:
Rob is gonna cut me a deal on the install. JBA makes notice in their warranty agreement that they are not responsible for the labor charges on any defective product so Ill just eat it. I just want my car to have a problem free header.

Rob is cool. I'm supposed to go by his shop and get some turndowns for my mufflers, but I haven't found the time yet.

I'm also wondering if they'll make the car softer or louder....if they make it softer, I don't want them :nice:

san~man said:
Rob is cool. I'm supposed to go by his shop and get some turndowns for my mufflers, but I haven't found the time yet.

I'm also wondering if they'll make the car softer or louder....if they make it softer, I don't want them :nice:
Dude, I had turn downs on a custom lowrider I owned prior to the mustang. It was a 83 buick regal, candy blue, 4.1 v6 stroked out to a 4.3...pretty mean and full chrome and with a 3500 stall converter, a 2k watt sound system...all JL audio, custom white leather with blue piping and a full exhaust...custom headers, custom h-pipe and turn downs. Not a v-8 sound, but was loud and pretty deep, had magna flow mufflers before the turn downs and there's a big difference. Oh yeah, I had a custom belltech lowering kit...springs, contol arms, agx shocks. Im sorry for the long reply, but I miss that car, sold it for 7k 4 years ago...dam_!

Stang|ess said:
dumps = louder.

Went to see Rob today and got my dumps welded on.

Inside the car is much quieter now than before (good thing I guess) but it seems the exhaust got softer (at least to me) on the outside. I'm not sure how it sounds outside the car, but it sounds softer than before.

It probably sounds hella louder outside. When I took off my exhaust pipes from behind the muffler, one of my neighbors asked what I did to the car since it sounded softer than before. I told him that to me it sounded louder. Weird....so since it's softer inside the car now it must be louder outside :shrug:

Funny thing too is I hear a strange noise now from the rear that I didn't hear before. I guess I didn't hear it since the exhaust was much louder before.