Header Question 66 Coupe

Discussion in '1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-' started by RLawrimore66Coupe, Jan 4, 2014.

1. I have a 66 Coupe that I have a 84 302 for it. What would be the best header for it with an automatic transmission. I know some have clearance issues. I don't want to use manifold because they always seems to have leaks.

Thanks

My crazy ongoing project.....

2. Do you have factory power steering? Or an aftermarket rack and pinion? Any plans on upgrading to either in the future? Or to a Manual?

Those will need to be answered before you purchase a set, or you will be buying another set later. The shorty style headers are pretty much a guarantee to fit any thing.

For long style headers with factory power steering, you will need a power steering cylinder drop bracket. This is not big deal, just a few bolts to lower the P/S cylinder to make room for the header.

If not, any decent quality header made for a 66 289 (since they didn't come with 302) will work. The 84 302 should be dimensionally same to a 66 289.

The biggest recomendations I can give you is - DO NOT GET A CHEAP HEADER! THEY WILL LEAK, AND THEY WILL RUST QUICKLY.

Try to find one with a 3/8 header flange, and a good coating. If you dont want a ceramic coating, you can skip this and paint it yorself with some header paint.

Also if possible get a ball type socket at the collector. The 3 bolt flanges warp and will leak. Some have 3/8 inch flanges at the collector, those should be ok.

This brand is one of the more expensive, but the quality is there, and they will give you a header that fits and tucks up nicely to the floor boards. check out FPA, Ford Power train. I run their headers on my 69.

Excellent Fit, quality, and coating. They have 3/8 flanges, with ball sockets on the collector, and came with good quality header gaskets.
    And my favorite part is that I could Properly get a 3/8 inch socket on all of the header bolts when installing - a very rare occurrence with almost any other header.

If you are going from stock manifolds, you will need to get some 3/8 inch ARP header bolts. If you have aluminum heads, use anti seize on them. Re check torque a few times after the install, then periodically during regular maintenance.