Header Questions

Max22

Jul 1, 2015
I've got quite a few questions about headers. I currently have a 1996 mustang gt with a manual transmission. First off I'm lowered (not sure how much as it was lowered before I bought it), so will long tube headers even fit? Next is their a huge difference from long tube to mid tube for our engine? What brand makes good mid to high end headers? I don't really want to spend much more than $600. Next question what method would you suggest to install them? I've heard a lot of different methods an someone said its harder with a manual because of the clutch and everything. Lastly what type of headers are the stock headers considered?

Also it may be important to mention that I have access to a car lift.

Thanks in advance I know there's many threads on this but I just wanted the most up to date info on everything.

• Sponsors (?)

Long tubes will scrape, thats just what long tubes do. Nothing too crazy, just expect them to scrape occasionally.
And long tube to short tube? are you referring to mid pipes? I only know of shirt and long tube headers.. But yes, the power is worth getting long tubes.
I would go with SLP, or BBK if youre worried about clearance. And for the install, idk if its the same as the 99+, but the easiest way was to drop the kmember. You will have to support your engine.
And the stock header is a shorty.

Not sure how closely related the 96 and 01 is, but i assume its close enough to get the job done, this is a good link to use.
Welcome to FnSweet.com

- only go with long tubes
- shorties do nothing that the stock manifolds can't do
- I have BBK long tubes on my 96 GT vert (lowered) (auto trans) and haven't scraped anything yet
- I thought the install on the auto was more difficult than manual because of clearance issues
- support your engine and drop the K member is the easiest way unless you already have the engine out
- picked up my headers used on CL for $100
- worth the difference the headers make!

Reactions: 1 user
I just put long tube headers on my 96 GT not to long ago... Get ready for pain... There a really tight fit and the and the driver side is a 2 peace design with the steering linkage going threw the header... My car don't scrape but its not lowered ether and going with a better brand is a good idea I went with Flowtech and the pass side header runs straight into the crossmember

Thanks for everybody's input. Anyone have any experience with hooker headers? Because bbk's are $500 for chrome ones an then I'd have to have them ceramic coated at a local shop for X$ more.

Hookers are crap. Had a pair on a 2v and ditched them.

Don't bother spending that money on headers on your car. I picked up 5-10 sets of PI heads 15 years ago for 200 bucks from junkyards. That's where you will see gains and add headers at the same time when the heads are off.

Reactions: 1 user
Hookers are crap. Had a pair on a 2v and ditched them.

Don't bother spending that money on headers on your car. I picked up 5-10 sets of PI heads 15 years ago for 200 bucks from junkyards. That's where you will see gains and add headers at the same time when the heads are off.

I figured as much because they're so cheap. I am planning on doing a PI swap here in the next month or so actually. Just didn't know if I wanted headers at the same time. Can't seem to find a good price anywhere.

Whats up guy, Don't waste your time with shorty or mid length headers!.. Def not worth the investment plus all the pain in the ass labor to do it. If you are going with headers Long tubes are the ONLY WAY TO GO!.. They produce the best results horsepower/torque and they sound bad ass!!.. I have Mac ceramic coated long tubes on my 04 Roush stage 2 car. My current exhaust setup is the Mac lt's, off road Lethal performance x pipe, and Mangaflow magnapacks straight thru bullet style mufflers and it sounds freaking awesome!!. I get compliments on it all the time. I don't know if your familiar with the difference between h pipes and x pipes.. The x pipe is more exotic modern race car sounding and by far my personal favorite of the two. The h pipe is more old school american muscle " rumble " sounding not as loud n raspy as the x pipe sound. I have had both on 2v 4.6 mod motors and i always favor the x pipe. Pretty much just gotta look on utube and see whatcha like.. and good middle level but still good quality and affordable are Mac, Pypes, Jba ( sometimes you can find good deals on them look round ).. If your really nickel n diming it then set of pacesetters for $200 and their h and x pipes are pretty cheap as well. You could also find a knock off no name chrome, ceramic set on ebay and couple of my buddies who have 99-04 stangs have gotten the ebay sets and they are pretty nice!.. and they are like $180-$225 tops. If you have some questions go ahead and post here to me or you can send me a pm on here. Good luck bud! Hope u find what your looking for. :)

Oh, btw after i had bought my mac long tubes and started seeing some pretty good deals on jba long tubes ( i dunno why but on some sites jba long tubes will be labeled mid-length headers but they are long tubes just a fyi.. ) If you come across a set of jba's JUMP ON IT!!.. their stuff is really good and for some reason paired with their catback sounds outta this world! no joke!.. even with another brand catback stil sounds top notch!.. One of my buds had a 02 gt with jba long tubes, jba x pipe and i don't member what brand catback but i dug the :poo: out of it!!. Still till this very day one of the best sounding cars i've ever heard. Happy holidays everyone! Cheers!! :)

I forgot to also mention that if u do go ahead and get headers. Make sure to get OEM Ford manifold gaskets from your local Ford dealer parts shop. The gaskets that come with the new headers are JUNK!!.. I had to learn this lesson the hard way!.. You can get the Ford manifold gaskets at any Ford dealer or online thru a Ford discount retailer sites. trust me u don't want to have to pay some labor twice to go back and put in the right gaskets!..

Cheers and Happy holidays! :).