Header stud/ Affecting X-pipe install clearance

X-pipe stud issue/clearence-EDIT: Installed no probs

I ordered a BBK X-Pipe, model 1669, which is listed under this Q&A I found, it reads like this....

Q. My X-pipe won't seal on my Driver Side exhaust manifold on my 96-04 Mustang. Is this the right pipe? What's wrong?
(part numbers affected include: 1665, 1666, 1669, 1670)

A. The piping itself is correct. For whatever reason, some Mustang models leave the factory with a different style header stud on the Driver side, one that has a "shoulder" on it. This shoulder interferes with the flange, not allowing it to come up all the way and seal against the manifold. There are a couple of things that can be done to correct this. Both solutions require the removal of the factory-supplied studs. Once this has been accomplished, you can either A) replace them with a shoulderless-style stud, or B) simply use a nut-and-bolt setup. This should let the flange to come up further unobstructed, allowing the pipe to seal adequately on that side, providing a leak-free fit.

Should I be concerned? My exhaust is stock except for magnaflow cat-back, and it's a 99 GT Limited Edition. How do I know if my car has that issue or not? Is there a way to tell without me having to jack it up and crawl around under the car, I dont even really know what i'd be looking for.

Any tips appreciated. I tried a search, but nothing too definitive. Thanks guys, with all ur >1337Stanzorz pwnage LOL.

-Dave

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

QuickCapri83 said:
I ordered a BBK X-Pipe, model 1669, which is listed under this Q&A I found, it reads like this....

Q. My X-pipe won't seal on my Driver Side exhaust manifold on my 96-04 Mustang. Is this the right pipe? What's wrong?
(part numbers affected include: 1665, 1666, 1669, 1670)

A. The piping itself is correct. For whatever reason, some Mustang models leave the factory with a different style header stud on the Driver side, one that has a "shoulder" on it.
:lol: they didn't answer, what a way to blame it on someone else

QuickCapri83 said:
Bump*

Does anyone know if my car has this kind of manifold stud, the "shoulder" type, or do I have nothing to worry about, it'll just bolt right in?

You probably do have it. It simple to overcome. Remove the stud and grind off the shoulder. If you do not have a vise or a grinder, then you can use the studs from a Taurus (they do not have the shoulder). I forgot the part number and what year model but i am sure you can search for it. I will also look and if I find it, I will post the info for you.

All installed. Car is SICK. I've never heard this combo, Magnaflow Magnapac cat-back ( the cylinder shaped muffler!!) and, just today installed the BBK O/R X-pipe. I dont even know how to describe it. If you go through the gears gently and normally, it sounds really freakin mean, kinda like a cuda, or something, but when you get on it fully it straight up sounds like a nascar, as if no exhast at all, it's sooooooo loud. Unbeleivable the difference. Noticed small loss of torque, but, up top feels excellent and that's what matters. I need to get a tune now.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!! I've been waiting 3 months to install this xpipe, simply have'nt had time....finaly done tho, so happy. As some of you may know, my town is crowded terribly with imports, and now well....they dont even act anything like they used to, ie flippin me off, doin burnouts, etc etc. I just give a little throttle and they actually give thumbs up. Now this was just today, cruising around after the install. But man, now I see what I was missing all this time, i've never had an O/R pipe of any kind, always opted for high flow cat pipes. I'm so much in love with this car right now.....ahhhhh.

What's funny, I choose BBK simply because I liked the headers they made for one of my 5.0's I had a few yrs back. Cost about 20% more than most other o/r pipes, but, I guess it was worth it. I'll make a cool video with my cam, post in the next few days.

Oh btw, after having nothing but H pipes, X PIPES RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top end is great, well worth what the very small loss in low end....honestly, i'm not sure I can even tell a difference. It pulls right on up just like it did....I think the design of the mufflers, having a deeper sound by design, making up for the X-pipe's loss of back pressure!

Any tips on next addy? Gears ofcourse, other than that...ahh, suspension and brakes, I wanna be able to rip around like my VR. :D

Well, my friend has a GTech, i'm getting one soon. Anyways, we had some fun with it. I honestly cannot beleive how much power my car gained above 4k rpm, it's unreal. What's a good way to put it....it's like....it pulls soo much quicker through the rpm. The O/R really makes a huge difference, I had no idea how restrictive the stock exhaust is.

When I first got in the car and drove it, I just really didnt understand how it could affect it that much.....just a pipe. But I guess the stock mid-pipe restricts the exhaust flow ALOT above 4k, cause now, the car tachs up atleast 50% faster, and it'll keep goin on up way past the red.....before it struggled as soon as it hit the red. What an improvement, and the Magnaflow's sound freakin strange, but bada$$!!!!

How/Why is there such a difference on a pretty much "stock" car with an x-pipe and good cat-back. I just dont understand how exhaust can be that restrictive(when stock)....................... $tangs4ever!

:SNSign: