Header Thoughts

toyman

10 Year Member
Jul 19, 2007
Vernon BC
I'm still pushing the exhaust through the stock headers. Mods in sig. Will there be any real advantages to changing the headers and if so, is there one recommended for my setup? I would prefer to keep the existing mid pipe and catback system.

• Sponsors (?)

Just passing forward the heresay...buddy of mine said there was an article in one of the magazines (couple of years ago)...seemed the KB's liked shorty's better....might be worth looking into if you're concerned with extracting every ounce of power.

I know, he said she said....

Good luck

I'll give a few general thoughts here I guess :)

For a NA combo ... I would almost always say LT over Shortys :nice:

When boost crams the mix through the motor

I would say LT's would be better like above
but
My gut feeling would be their advantage might be as much as when NA ;)

Grady

The general theory is that short tube headers enhance low end torque with more back pressure, same with cats. I've never seen this work in the real world though.

Kurt

When I asked the question I was not particularly focused on more HP or torque but as I read the responses I guess that is what generally gets measured against the added cost. I assume shorties bolt up to the existing mid pipe and depending on brand and/or configuration flow a lot better than stock.

I'll try to find the article Hef5.0weisen made reference to. I'll also email KB and see if they have anything to add to the discussion.

I had very little time in my post above
and
I did not get across what I wanted to convey :(

I meant to say :doh:

When using boost .............

It would seem to me that LT's would not give as big of an advantage over
shortys as when one was doing a NA combo :shrug:

Grady

Checked the KB site today and they show an advantage using LT's when pushing over 12 psi. They also mention that changing the exhaust on 94+ models offers a minimal hp gain. So, if I'm going to change headers it appears that ceramic coated ones at least help reduce engine bay temperatures. My stock ones tend to glow just above the header flange.

If you are intent on upgrading the headers, and I see the stockers as a restriction, and you want to keep the mid-pipe you have, then pick up some ceramic BBK shorties.

I would say BBK's over Mac's because the BBK's have a flange on the tubes, where the Mac's don't.

Eventhough KB says the results can be minimal, it can only help to move the exhaust through something other than stock headers.