Header Wrap Info

screaminstang

Dec 25, 2008
Hi fellow `Stangers. Just joined ''the herd'' this afternoon. Looks like a neat site.

I have a question on wrapping headers.
I installed JBAs about 2 years ago on my `05 GT. I wasn't aware of the header wrap tape at the time, so i just bolted them on.
Does anyone know of any spray that can be used on them , cuz i kinda don't think i could use the tape now?

Thanks!

screaminstang [northeast PA]

• Sponsors (?)

Tape is fine if you didn't spend a lot of money on the headers and the thought of replacing them in another year or so doesn't bother you. It does a great job of keeping the heat in, but unfortunately it also superheats the metal and creates a lot of hot spots. Unless they're a really high end, heavy gauge stainless header (which I don't believe the JBA's are) the metal becomes really brittle and is prone to cracking over time.

The way it’s done now a days is with a good Ceramic Coating like JETHOT. Its a lot pricier than header tape, but it won’t need to be redone twice a year, it'll triple the life span of your headers and will still do a decent job of keeping under hood temperatures down. :nice:

Header Wrap

Tape is fine if you didn't spend a lot of money on the headers and the thought of replacing them in another year or so doesn't bother you. It does a great job of keeping the heat in, but unfortunately it also superheats the metal and creates a lot of hot spots. Unless they're a really high end, heavy gauge stainless header (which I don't believe the JBA's are) the metal becomes really brittle and is prone to cracking over time.

The way it’s done now a days is with a good Ceramic Coating like JETHOT. Its a lot pricier than header tape, but it won’t need to be redone twice a year, it'll triple the life span of your headers and will still do a decent job of keeping under hood temperatures down. :nice:

Thanks for ALOT of info Brian!!
I don't have the model # of header that they were right in front of me but, i do remember payin quite a bit for `em, and they are stainless steel.
It would be almost impossible to use tape on them now as they're bolted on already, correct? AND, i don't much feel like takin `em off to do. Ha ha.
Gonna check out your jet-hot tip, too.
Thanks again, John

Header wrap also holds in any moisture. I've seen many primary tubes rust through due to the trapped moisture. It'd be better to get the ceramic coated, although it is more expensive.