Headers DONE!! K member IN!! (mostly)

BrianV

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
McChord AFB, WA
Alright, had a very productive day today.. finally got the Drivers side header in.. holy cow that thing was a bear. had to drop it at least 4 times because of either cross-threading bolts or finding the right combination of locking bolts / and or studs.. serious pain in the ass!

It was nice though that once it was up, the K member went right into place.. had to pull on it a little to get the bolts lined up, but thats it.. Jon you were right, it does fit nice!

I have no idea how some people are able to get headers installed with the K-mem in place on these cobras, it looks bad enough with the Tubular K- that I dont want to ever have to drop them, although the new K opens SO much up over stock..

I have to get a few things from the hardware store tomorrow, and if all goes well, I could have the wheels back on by tomorrow. Also need to finish up my Wideband Commander install. Then I just have to wait for my blower to get back from Vortech and I'll be ready to pound some more pavement :nice:

kmemin.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

nice :nice: looks damn good

how much of a pain is it doing the k-member with the engine in the car still? never done one before and im considering doing full coilvers/k-member/arms on mine next like i mentioned in your last post.

88SC_GT said:
nice :nice: looks damn good

how much of a pain is it doing the k-member with the engine in the car still? never done one before and im considering doing full coilvers/k-member/arms on mine next like i mentioned in your last post.

Really the tubular K is a drop in the bucket.. just stick some wood on top of a jack and jack under the oil pan, support it while you loosen the motor mounts, then you can lift it up a couple inches to drop out the old one. Then theres like 4 bolts holding it on the car, and 2 bolts holding the steering rack on, drop those and it comes right out. The new one fit like a glove, so no problems putting it back on either.

As long as the rotors come off easily and you have a can of breakfree for some stuck bolts.. I would guess probably 4-5 hours, you could definitely do it in a day's work with jack stands and hand tools..

If you lived closer I'd offer to help you out but that'd be a pretty decent drive for you.

Tylerb59 said:
That's awesome! That's probably my next suspension mod.

How long do you think it'd take to install at a somewhat ridgid pace? Minus the header install, I'm looking to getting the k-member / coil over setup here soon and get my suspension / weight transfer taken care of. :nice:

Oh and if you haven't already, check out www.modulardepot.com they've got a whole K-mem, A-arm, Coilover setup for like $750.