Headers for 351W in 70 mustang

callys

Oct 14, 2005
Swap questions for 351W in 70 mustang

Sorry guys! Lots of questions....

I am storing the original cleveland out of my car and I have a 351W with the edelbrock victor jr heads.

1. Right now I don't have any exhaust manifolds. I am trying to look around, but it doesn't look like anyone makes headers for this combination...

Anyone have some that work? I am also putting in an AOD, but I understand that is smaller than a C6. My car has power steering and all that jazz.

I am willing to hammer them, and maybe cut and modify them a little if that's what it takes...

2. Will the regular (non air gap) Performer Rpm fit under the shaker hood? Anyone tried it?

3. What is a good ignition setup to run? I do not want go back to the cleveland's points distributor. Is there an HEI setup with a gear for a roller cam?

Thanks! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

If you can't find headers for a Windsor in a 70, you haven't even started looking. Everyone makes these. You sure the motor you're trying to swap has a roller cam? There are lots of drop in electronic distributors with roller gears that are no more complicated than a points distributor.(Pertronix, Crane, Mallory) The HEI units look retarded on a Ford. The distributor head is bigger than the carb.

If you can't find headers for a Windsor in a 70, you haven't even started looking.
Which probably explains why there have have been so few responses.

The HEI units look retarded on a Ford. The distributor head is bigger than the carb.
:lol:Yup! At least on a Chevy it's hidden at the back.

I suggest doing a search in this forum on "headers" and "ignition". Plenty of good info.

Sorry guys, I think my problem arose out of my searching for a 351W in a 70, when I should have just looked at 69. Looks like to get something with 1 3/4" primaries I have to spend about 700 bucks.

The Victor Jr. headers are raised port, but hopefully that doesn't change it too much...

Yes it is a roller cam, I assembled the motor. I have about 2k bucks in the AOD before converter...so it better hold up.

...Anyone tried to fit the Performer RPM under the shaker?

Accufab has a header at a decent price: http://www.accufabracing.com/exhaust.htm Call ole George and he can tell you if it will fit a OD tranny.

Also, look at the off the shelf Hooker stuff. They have long tubes that fit well on a 351w at an even cheaper price. Not sure if it is the Comp or Super Comp that fits best, but here is a Hooker part # that normally works: 6208s (65-70mustang). Doesn't mention if they will fit the OD automatic though so you may be on your own.