Headers Installation

kowalczyk86

Apr 26, 2010
Wow - after 7 hours last night, a buddy and I are about an hour away from finishing up installing Ford Racing ceramic headers. Didn't go so bad other than your random pain in the @$$ type stuff. Only broke one spark plug wire that wouldn't come off (installed in May so not sure what happened there), and broke one vacuum line. Off to Autozone to get those parts and then back home to finish the last hour or so.

Just curious - has anyone done this any quicker? I have a really smart mechanic helping me that has done headers before, but it just seems like we always ran into something.

Has anyone been able to reuse the black brackets on either side? Mine are not fitting..

Shawn

• Sponsors (?)

Usually the header to H pipe bolts are so rusted that getting them off is a major problem. PB Blaster, 3 foot long cheater bars, twisted up extension bars, broken sockets and rounded off nuts are very common. If you didn't have any of those, problems you are very blessed.

Usually the header to H pipe bolts are so rusted that getting them off is a major problem. PB Blaster, 3 foot long cheater bars, twisted up extension bars, broken sockets and rounded off nuts are very common. If you didn't have any of those, problems you are very blessed.

you forgot sawzall.

Once you've done it a couple times, it becomes much easier. 7 hours and you still haven't finished seems a little extreme, even for a first timer. Did you unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine side-to-side?

My first swap took me a few days because the factory H pipe bolts were seized. If we're talking about shorties and everything is in new/good condition, i can have them in and out in about an hour. Full lengths are a different story, especially with the damn steering shaft which i seem to be retarded with and take forever to get one in and out, and then you have the motor mounts to unbolt and jack the engine up and take the oil dip stick out etc etc.

:scratch:

I just now realized how fortunate I have been. Changed em on two foxes start to finish in just a couple hours. Good lord those problems sound frustrating!

I guess all I can say is it seems youre in good company and hang in there, it will be more than worth it :nice:

Wow. My first time took about 2 hours. Now it's down to about 90 minutes on average. The most time consuming part is getting all of the crap on the passenger's side out of the way.

Loosening motor mounts and jacking engine are a must....couple hours that way if no fubar bolts.

I guess that is why it took so long.. Oh well no big deal it's done now.

Why are some of you guys worrying about motor mounts, unless you're doing long tubes? I've done shorties several times and there is no problem accessing anything from above except the flange bolts and both headers slide right in. I can have the driver's side done in about 20 minutes, once the front of the car is on jackstands. The passenger's side takes about the same after you get all the crap out of the way.

Why are some of you guys worrying about motor mounts, unless you're doing long tubes? I've done shorties several times and there is no problem accessing anything from above except the flange bolts and both headers slide right in. I can have the driver's side done in about 20 minutes, once the front of the car is on jackstands. The passenger's side takes about the same after you get all the crap out of the way.

Yup. Longtubes=motormounts. Shorttubes=stand back 10 feet and throw 'em in!

...Then tighten them with a crescent wrench. :D