Headers/mid pipe. Same brand or mix and match?

Flavadave4

Nov 28, 2003
Utica, NY
Last night I installed a beautiful set of new BBK polished ceramic shortys and figured they would work just fine with the MAC off road H pipe I had been running...not so. It seemed like they went together fine but when I started the car it was apparent I had a leak. Leave it running and run the lift back up and its coming out right where the headers meet the H pipe.

So in short my question is;

Is it needed to match brands from header to mid pipe?

I cannot get enough adjustment to completely seal the ball gasket. Looks like I will be spending another $180 for a mid pipe, be it X or H...unless any of you have ideas or used parts available.:mad:

• Sponsors (?)

crap!
i just got a used mac h pipe to go with the bbk shortys i already have on the car.
but my summit o/r h pipe bolts up to it fine.
maybe its just a problem with mac mid pipes??

crap!
i just got a used mac h pipe to go with the bbk shortys i already have on the car.
but my summit o/r h pipe bolts up to it fine.
maybe its just a problem with mac mid pipes??

It's right there but i cannot get it to bite down good. I forgot to mention that the flanges that bolt together are bent on the mid pipe, maybe I just cant get them tight enough? Its not worth cutting up, putting new flanges on and rewelding...I'd rather just get some new stuff.

On my GT I have ford racing headers w/ a bbk h-pipe and I have a leak somewhere as well. I have checked in all areas and tighten but I can't seem to find it. I even brought the car to a muffler shop and they could not do anything for me.

My father has bbk headers and a bbk h-pipe on his cobra and everything sounded great until the end of last summer. We came to find that the header gasket was leaking (keep in mind the headers or only about 4 years old) so we are going to fix that soon.

I have come to find that many of these products are just not made all that well (especially bbk...sorry I have just not had all that great luck with them). It just seems like there is always a fitment issue...no matter how the parts are matched up :(

On my GT I have ford racing headers w/ a bbk h-pipe and I have a leak somewhere as well. I have checked in all areas and tighten but I can't seem to find it. I even brought the car to a muffler shop and they could not do anything for me.

My father has bbk headers and a bbk h-pipe on his cobra and everything sounded great until the end of last summer. We came to find that the header gasket was leaking (keep in mind the headers or only about 4 years old) so we are going to fix that soon.

I have come to find that many of these products are just not made all that well (especially bbk...sorry I have just not had all that great luck with them). It just seems like there is always a fitment issue...no matter how the parts are matched up :(

Headers leaking happens, i just give them a tighten every other year and they seem to do fine, the MACs i took off were warped so i pretty much needed somethign new.

...I can tell you these BBK headers are leaps and bounds better than the MAC equal lengths they replaced. I think I am just going to give Mustangs Unlimited a call and order a new BBK H pipe. Being this early in the day I'll probably have it tomorrow.:nice:

Headers leaking happens, i just give them a tighten every other year and they seem to do fine, the MACs i took off were warped so i pretty much needed somethign new.

...I can tell you these BBK headers are leaps and bounds better than the MAC equal lengths they replaced. I think I am just going to give Mustangs Unlimited a call and order a new BBK H pipe. Being this early in the day I'll probably have it tomorrow.:nice:

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. Cutting the old one didn't sound like it was going to be a fun job ;)

Mustangs unlimited is great. I am in CT so the parts get to me pretty quickly, but I swear they must ship them out the minute they get the order!

Anyway, good luck with the new pipe!