Headers & Torque Converters......

red302

Founding Member
Nov 21, 1998
Peru, IL
Guys, I'm waiting for my 331 longblock to get done and I need to know what headers fit the best in a '68 with a 302 block and a C-4 auto....Hedman, or Hooker Comps. Also I'm going with a 2500 or so stall converter, and need some advice on which one. What do you suggest???? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

As for a High Stall Torque Convertor go with a custom shop. Don't buy an off the shelf TC. You really need to have one built for your specific Car. There was a thread in 5.0L Tech and someone suggested the best to go with Emerald, Edge, and other top notch converter builders. But get a custom built one.

I like the Hooker Comp headers myself. That is what I am using on my 347 with C4 trans. in my '66. It's a tight fit in the earlier cars but will go in easily in your '68.

As far as a torque converter I totally agree with bluecobra. A custom converter built with them knowing your entire combination is definitely the way to go. I used to have an off the shelf 2500 stall and could barely notice the difference over the stock converter on the street and strip. I now have an Edge custom converter that is light years ahead of the other one performance wise. The custom was a few hundred more but worth every penny.

I generally disagree with these (buy edge converters) threads but I have to say what they build for a c4 works well. I buy parts from the same place as them and have no problems with those parts. Just make sure you get the billet one. I would suggest a #6 pump and an 082 stator it will be efficient and great stall.
Alan

This car is a street performance / show / cruiser, not a race car. It will also see alot of highway miles, as we travel to alot of cruises and events. Not sure that would warrant a custom converter. I was thinking about a B&M Holeshot 2400, or TCI's version of it. Anyone have any expierence with one of those? I ended up with the Heddman coated headers. I decided on those instead of the Hooker Comps because of the ball & socket flanges. They seem to seal up better. Brown truck delivered them yesterday and the quality looks very good. Hopefully the fit will be as well. Still waiting on the longblock. WFC is getting very close now. Don't know if I'll make it. Thanks for the replys I appreciate the input.

hehe I guess but the reason they sell them is because not everyone has 600-1000 bucks to spent on a TC.

$600-$1000 would be an acceptable price for a serious race unit. You should be able to get a very nice c4 converter for $400-$500 bucks built to handle anythign a street car can throw at it. Thats how summit makes money at it. TCI and B&M sells them some $250 units they turn around and sell for $400ish. the parts any respectable converter builder will not use. It's a street car with a c4 you want about a 9.5-10 inch converter with around 3200-3500 stall at max to keep the heat down.
Alan

I went with a TCI 2500 converter 8 years ago and have had zero problems with it.

On the headers, which heads do you have? I have a set of Dart heads and the Hookers didn't fit. I traced a template of one of the ports and went down to my local speed shop. I returned the Hookers and asked him to start bringing out everything else until I found one that would fit. I ended up with Hedmans but I still had to grind on them for a better fit.

I went with a TCI 2500 converter 8 years ago and have had zero problems with it.

On the headers, which heads do you have? I have a set of Dart heads and the Hookers didn't fit. I traced a template of one of the ports and went down to my local speed shop. I returned the Hookers and asked him to start bringing out everything else until I found one that would fit. I ended up with Hedmans but I still had to grind on them for a better fit.

I got a TCI Breakaway converter. I called TCI and gave 'em the specs on my engine, gearing, and how the car will be used and that's what they recommended. They said with my combination it should stall to about 2600, which is what I was looking for. I have Edelbrock Performer RPM 2.02 valve heads. The Hedmans should work out fine. Not going to make the WFC with it, but now that I have most of the parts, I can't wait to get it together!