Headers...what to get?

• Sponsors (?)

I have BBK Equal-Length Ceramic Shorties. I like em'. If you're going for some serious HP get Long-Tubes. But for my application,(see sig) they are great. What ever you choose, make sure you use Felpro 1415 header gaskets. Most gaskets that come with new headers SUCK! Everybody seems to rave about the Felpro's. You may also want some locking header bolts (Stage-8), but it's up to you. One other thing, look for a header that has one complete flange, not separate flanges for each tube (that mounts to head). These separate flanges are a cheap design and often twist and leak more. :flag:

These. Ford Racing Stainless Shorties. Lifetime Warranty and Real "Jet Hot" coating.
397M9430P51.jpg

Attachments

• 397M9430P51.jpg
    397M9430P51.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 39
If you get bbk shorties, don't install the headers gaskets they come with.Bbk gaskets suck!..get some felpro or something. Mine are already blown and I only had them for 5 months. ..Oh yeah try to get some stage 8 locking bolts as well..I have them but didnt instal them yet. I got them from www.50resto.com

Full length long tubes, I've got shorties and they just don't sound the same. shorties resonate more, long tubes resonate less, plus long tubes = more HP
You'll eventually go to long tubes, I will be and i have shortys. Mac's great price very tough install, BBK great quality, poor price, very good install.

do it right the first time, long tubes, 5.0 have plenty of torque to sacrifice for more than double you loss in top end gain, lose 10lb/ft of torque in exhange for 20hp?

SirWindsor said:
Full length long tubes, I've got shorties and they just don't sound the same. shorties resonate more, long tubes resonate less, plus long tubes = more HP
You'll eventually go to long tubes, I will be and i have shortys. Mac's great price very tough install, BBK great quality, poor price, very good install.

do it right the first time, long tubes, 5.0 have plenty of torque to sacrifice for more than double you loss in top end gain, lose 10lb/ft of torque in exhange for 20hp?
Be careful if you go the long tube route! A friend of mine learned the hard way on his 331 stroker when he replaced his FRPP 1 5/8" shorties with 1 3/4" BBK long tubes. It made "0" RWHP more than the shorties. He then cut off the collectors and put on race style collectors and picked up 15 RWHP. So be careful if you get long tubes. Make sure they have good collectors on them. MAC's have ok collectors but are JUNK quality :notnice: . BBK's have good quality but have small collectors :rolleyes: . If you want to spend the money go with Kooks. Then you can't go wrong. :nice: