HEADERS

• Sponsors (?)

I just put on a set of patriot headers with no problems. Maybe I got lucky? Wish I would have known about the previous problems everyone else had. Glad mine worked out ok. I got them from CJ Pony Parts if that matters.

Good luck with your choice!

im currently running the patriot t-y's, there ugly, not the prettiest welds but i wrapped em(since they are cheap headers, would have jet hotted if they were worth it) in some fiber wrap so they look decent now. no problem with clearances or fit.

i had hooker comp long tubes prior to the patriots, they worked great, wernt to expensive either. i had to take them off when i did the t5 swap thou.

65notch said:
i had hooker comp long tubes prior to the patriots, they worked great, wernt to expensive either. i had to take them off when i did the t5 swap thou.

Really? What was the issue? Clutch linkage/cable??

I had hoped to keep my old long tubes on a '69 with a 302/T5 or 3550.

-Stephen

I have the Hooker Comp ceramic coated headers... look great and I've had no problems. However, I am still set up with the stock 4 sp toploader and mechanical clutch. Was hoping to do a T5 swap soon and new I would have issues.... but didn't think I would have to dump my headers.

Scott

the problem with the hooker comps...since all 4 tubes are single untill the collector, they dont leave any clearance for the clutch cable(mechanical linkage may be different, im not sure) i ordered my t5 kit from Modern Driveline and they had mentioned the i may have header problems, but i tired the hookers anyways...they were a no-go. so i called up Modern driveline and they suggested a cpl different headers i could go with. they either needed to be shorties or tri-ys. since most shorters are pricey and require differnt motor mounts, and huge modification of exhaust(long tubes to shorties) it was easier to go with tri-ys. the helped alot. but i still had issues...the cable hole on the bellhousing is almost directly inline with the header so i had to make a harness to pull the cable to on side so she wouldnt melt on the header.
i read up on header mods a while back, and there are some people on the forums that got creative with their long tubes, such as cutting out one of the tubes(#7 maybe?) and rewelding it to create a gap for the cable. it was an idea but i didnt want to mess with headers that have already been made a certian way for a reason.
hope all this rambling made since...

65notch said:
the problem with the hooker comps...since all 4 tubes are single untill the collector, they dont leave any clearance for the clutch cable(mechanical linkage may be different, im not sure) i ordered my t5 kit from Modern Driveline and they had mentioned the i may have header problems, but i tired the hookers anyways...they were a no-go. so i called up Modern driveline and they suggested a cpl different headers i could go with. they either needed to be shorties or tri-ys. since most shorters are pricey and require differnt motor mounts, and huge modification of exhaust(long tubes to shorties) it was easier to go with tri-ys. the helped alot. but i still had issues...the cable hole on the bellhousing is almost directly inline with the header so i had to make a harness to pull the cable to on side so she wouldnt melt on the header.
i read up on header mods a while back, and there are some people on the forums that got creative with their long tubes, such as cutting out one of the tubes(#7 maybe?) and rewelding it to create a gap for the cable. it was an idea but i didnt want to mess with headers that have already been made a certian way for a reason.
hope all this rambling made since...

I guess I could always lay down the extra dough for a hydraulic setup correct (like money is growing on trees these days)?

Anyway... sorry for hijacking the thread.

Scott

I really like my ceramic coated Hooker comps. I was running tri-ys before and thought they were ok, then when I put on the hookers I was surprised at how much better it ran. I'll never run tri-y's again. Hooker quality is good, they look and sound great. They hang a little low, but not too bad, my car sits kinda low and I don't have any problems unless I carelessly go flying over a big speedbump. I'll post a pic when I get home to give you an idea of how they sit in relation to the frame rails.

test020.jpg

Attachments

• test020.jpg
    test020.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 33
all long tubes are gonna hang low..there just isnt a ton of space and you have to clear the trans crossmemeber, the collector is big, so the outlet has to be low.

I like Hooker Comps and SuperComps...never had a problem with them and they have been good quality

302 coupe said:

Notice how every time you come off a speed bump its going to smash the bottom tubes flat... (ala camaro)

(imho) Get a good set of 1&5/8 UNequal ceramic shortie headers (like the 5.0s use) They make good power, dont drag the ground, leave more room for trans/clutck linkage and lines, steering linkage, sfi bellhousing, etc... etc.... etc....

EDIT: Try search on summit for - SUM-G9070 that should help ya out... then tell the sales guy you want a set of clamps/reducers to mate them to 2.5" pipe. Armed with your box (when it arives) take a trip to your local exhaust shop (hopefully a good one) and in about 2-3 hrs you should be rollin'....
OOOORRRR you can do it yourself if you can weld.

Dave-
:flag:

Attachments

• test020.jpg
    test020.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 50