Headlight/Electrical Problem

Snake03

Jan 11, 2003
South Alabama
I lost high beam on my drivers side headlight, and low beam seemed very weak. Simple bulb replacement, right?

Wrong.

I put in a new set of Hellas and have the same problem. Passenger side is great, nice bright blue/white. Driver's side just like with the old bulb. So, I figured I somehow just put the old one back in by mistake. Took it out to look and it's the new Hella.

On low beam dim and yellow looking compared to the good side. On high beam it actually dims slightly. Flash to pass and it goes out completely. :shrug:

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

when i got my 2000 my driverside low beam was out and i figured out i had a short in the wire my machanic said to run a wire from low on passenger to low on driver and that fixed it so just get a test light and find out which wire is what and splice the wires and its fixed. ive been driving it like this for a year and no problems.

Bad ground connection; probably right at the bulb socket.
The high and low beam filaments connect to a common ground terminal. When that connection is broken, current flows through both filaments in series (in one and out the other), which is why both high and low beams are dim.

I had the exact same problem. Turns out the bulb wasn't all the way in the plug. Even after I replaced the bulb I didn't push it in far enough. Gave it a little extra push and it went into the plug further. Worked like a charm..

Riley

Sounds like a bad ground to me too. Look around the wireing from the light and trace it out. make sure all connections are good.

I hate troubleshooting electrical problems, and it turned out to be more simple. Before breaking out my trusty multi-meter I swapped the bulbs to the opposite headlight assembly. Bulb was bad. Advance replaced the set and I'm in business.

Thanks to all for the replies.