Headlight/relay upgrade (w/o splicing into original harness)

• Sponsors (?)

yeloxr7 said:
I bought a relay kit from Summit Racing. it was strictly plug-and-play using one of the factory headlight plugs. The most time-consuming part was removing the yellow wire sheathing and replacing it with black flex loom covering.

2-light kit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AMC-509102&N=400375+115&autoview=sku

4-light kit: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AMC-509103&N=400375+115&autoview=sku

Painless wiring make a plug and play harness that includes all the wiring and relays to do the same thing but mine was for a 68.

I thought sure the 69 headlight switch was made a bit different. People have been using the replacement headlight switches for 67 Cougars for years. They do in fact directly replace 67-8 Mustang switches, and I believe the earlier cars too. Old switches tend to overheat so a new one is usually a good idea anyway. When you buy the Cougar switch you're getting one with a higher rated circuit breaker. High enough to run conventional halogen lights with no other modifications if the rest of the wiring is in good condition.
No need to hunt down or order a Cougar switch. Just pick one up at your local NAPA parts store. They might not have one in stock but can certainly get one within 24 hours.

dawtips said:
I met the owner of www.modernvintageauto.com and he hooked me up with a relay for my 69. It literally took 3 minutes to install. Take out two screws, replace two screws, unplug connectors, plug in relays, and voila.

I also recently installed the Modern Vintage Auto relay kit on my 65. It was a piece a cake. It is a well designed harness that slips right into place with the relay bracket attached using the starter relay mounting. Very easy!:nice:

Actually, I have no regrets about doing it the hard way. I learned a lot more doing it from scratch and figuring out how everything works than I would have if I'd simply bought a plug-n-play unit. And I still saved money to boot.

-Chelle