Headlight switch/fuse panel

chrissarine

May 3, 2007
Does anyone know if there are any replacement headlight switches on the market that are a little more advanced than the old stock '64-'68 ones? The only ones I have found are just reproductions of the old type.

I'd think someone would eventually come up with something better than the spring resistor and the little contact tips. And the circuit breaker that has no reset?

I'm also wanting to upgrade my fuse panel to the newer 2 blade push-in type. I've found the rewire kits from Painless, but I haven't seen the fuse panels alone for sale. How much trouble is this swap? I've never had the fuse panel out to look at the back of it, but I don't imagine it can be too hard to do. I'm wondering if I'll have to re-terminate all the wires, or can you unplug them from the fuse panel?

Any info is much appreciated!

Chris Sarine

• Sponsors (?)

Does anyone know if there are any replacement headlight switches on the market that are a little more advanced than the old stock '64-'68 ones? The only ones I have found are just reproductions of the old type.

I'd think someone would eventually come up with something better than the spring resistor and the little contact tips. And the circuit breaker that has no reset?

Chris Sarine

The circuit breaker automatically resets, no button needed. If you really wanted something different for the dash lights why not bypass the resistor on the switch and install a pot or thumb-wheel type from a more modern car. Seems like a lot of work for something you hardly ever touch once you set it where you want it.

adding a relay for low beam and one for high beam keeps all that voltage off of the switch and sends it directly to the bulbs. there are kits or it can be done on the cheap with wirecutters. this is the mod that should be right up there with getting rid of that jelly jar master cylinder on early cars.

adding a relay for low beam and one for high beam keeps all that voltage off of the switch and sends it directly to the bulbs. there are kits or it can be done on the cheap with wirecutters. this is the mod that should be right up there with getting rid of that jelly jar master cylinder on early cars.

My headlights started turning off on me randomly at night, and then it became they wouldn't work for longer than 15 min. I discovered that the current draw through the headlight switch was causing it to overheat and trip the internal circuit breaker. So I wired in relays so that all the switch did was turn on the relays. worked like a charm. It was hard to believe I did something right the first time out:D

jikelly, this sounds good. I'll have to go looking for a relay kit. Where did you end up mounting the relays?

The harness that goes to my headlight switch has a bunch of wires, how did you know which ones to use? Did you have to run a separate 12v to your relays?

I still don't like how hot the coil spring resistor gets when it has power on it.......I was hoping there was a direct plug in replacement out there somewhere with some kind of rheostat or something....

Thanks for the info!