Headlights are flickering

RTGreen

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2001
Alabaster, Alabama
When driving at night the headlights and dashlights have started flickering. When they do, I look at my voltage..and it's charging. Is my voltage regulator going bad? Any ideas? :shrug:

BTW...this is in a 72 Gran Torino, but the wiring setup should be like a mustang...I hope :)

• Sponsors (?)

RTGreen said:
When driving at night the headlights and dashlights have started flickering. When they do, I look at my voltage..and it's charging. Is my voltage regulator going bad? Any ideas? :shrug:

BTW...this is in a 72 Gran Torino, but the wiring setup should be like a mustang...I hope :)

Do they do it while it's standing still?
Another thing that will cause the lights to flicker or go out is,
the horn connectino in the steering wheel.
The brass buttons get dry and scrape the copper circle under the steering wheel.
Take a dab of grease on a Qtip and wipe the ring and button heads.
this will keep the connection working and the lights from flickering.

PB

I had this problem a long time ago, and they would only do it while driving. Turns out the headlight wires were shorting out where they go through the bulkhead(?) that the radiator mounts to. I didn't realize it until I was looking underneath the hood at night and they were glowing red hot, sitting on the bulkhead. I think they might have been damaged in an accident a few years before.

The lights on my 65 Mustang were also flicking. Like Superdave, I replaced the voltage regulator with a electronic voltage regulator. That stopped the flickering. I purchased mine at AutoZone, it was only $ 10.00.

65 project said:
The lights on my 65 Mustang were also flicking. Like Superdave, I replaced the voltage regulator with a electronic voltage regulator. That stopped the flickering. I purchased mine at AutoZone, it was only $ 10.00.

what do you tell them you need??? mine dont flicker, they get bright for 5 seconds, then a lil less bright, back and forth, and i have a brand new alternator.

Wow, I didn't notice how old this thread was... here are my thoughts, though a bit late...

It sounds like 2 different issues were being discussed here... Maybe separating them might help decide which one is the real culprit (unless it's both).

First, vintage Fords came with incandesant lights. Often these are swapped for halogens over the years, or when someone was looking for brighter lights. Well, halogens require more voltage to run. This often causes the fuseable circuit in the headlight switch to break, causing a flickering. As the fuseable link heats up, it breaks, the lights go out. It cools enough and reconnects, the lights go back on. The only real solution to this problem is to wire in relays for the headlights. So, how do you know if this is the issue? If the lights are ok initially, but over time begin to flicker, getting progressively worse and off for longer periods of time, then this is probaby your problem.

The second issue is related to a bad voltage regulator, bad alternator, or poor ground. I lump all of these together because the symptoms are probably pretty similar. Brightening and dimming from the moment (or shortly after) you turn on the lights. This won't typically be outright flickering, but more a dimming and brightening.

DarkBuddha said:
Wow, I didn't notice how old this thread was... here are my thoughts, though a bit late...

It sounds like 2 different issues were being discussed here... Maybe separating them might help decide which one is the real culprit (unless it's both).

First, vintage Fords came with incandesant lights. Often these are swapped for halogens over the years, or when someone was looking for brighter lights. Well, halogens require more voltage to run. This often causes the fuseable circuit in the headlight switch to break, causing a flickering. As the fuseable link heats up, it breaks, the lights go out. It cools enough and reconnects, the lights go back on. The only real solution to this problem is to wire in relays for the headlights. So, how do you know if this is the issue? If the lights are ok initially, but over time begin to flicker, getting progressively worse and off for longer periods of time, then this is probaby your problem.

The second issue is related to a bad voltage regulator, bad alternator, or poor ground. I lump all of these together because the symptoms are probably pretty similar. Brightening and dimming from the moment (or shortly after) you turn on the lights. This won't typically be outright flickering, but more a dimming and brightening.
Dark Buddaha ur first diagnosis sounds exactly like my problem for 2 years now . Every night my lights go on and off for short periods of time its ****ing dangerous . Well imma try what u said about those relays and i'll hit u back. Hopefully my problem goes away. :nice:

BIGJUNE said:
Dark Buddaha ur first diagnosis sounds exactly like my problem for 2 years now . Every night my lights go on and off for short periods of time its ****ing dangerous . Well imma try what u said about those relays and i'll hit u back. Hopefully my problem goes away. :nice:
Hey, maybe dragging up an old thread can be helpful... Yep, this problem is a very common. I suffered with it for a couple years before I finally found out what it was (that was before the internet). I don't know if you caught it, but you might check this site which was referenced in a previous post: http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/headlights.htm

DarkBuddha said:
Hey, maybe dragging up an old thread can be helpful... Yep, this problem is a very common. I suffered with it for a couple years before I finally found out what it was (that was before the internet). I don't know if you caught it, but you might check this site which was referenced in a previous post: http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/headlights.htm
yea bro i printed that page out thanx :nice: :