Headlights/dashlights flicker

Eos

Oh Heather Oh yeah... I want your pink taco
Jun 13, 2003
oklahoma
I've noticed lately my headlights and dashlights kind of flicker, and tonight my dashlights didn't look as bright as they normally do. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Most common cause in a II is lack of battery to vehicle chassis/body ground.

Not that it would apply to a '74, but the original body ground on a 302 car was a tab soldered to the battery cable, which then screws to the firewall. Battery cable gets replaced, ground tab doesn't get replaced, poor ground path is the result.

You know I have a voltage regulator guage and it's been out of whack lately. I think last time the reason was... something was touching something... lol I don't remember but that could be whats messing it up..

Megan, Do you have a ground strap from the engine block to the firewall? If not could be your problem. I had a similar issue awhile back but with mine the headlights would go all the way out then back on. That ended up being the floor dimmer switch going bad.

Dano78 said:
Sounds like the charging system... like the regulator is not being very consistant. Just a thought... :shrug:

Could also be a sign of a battery getting weak, if it's up ther in age.
No just replaced the battery.... I guess I could go toy around with some stuff.... lol Uh oh that doesnt sound like a good idea.... hehe

Mstng2 said:
Does it get brighter if you rev the motor?

Is that the best you can do?

I'm waiting for either you or Pro Builder to offer anything of substance.

Don't tell me your going to be 0 - 4 without a battle?

I'll give you a hint:

Naw.

The hints the most likely answer.

Ok this might be part of my cars problem. Does anyone have a pic of where the block to chassis and the battery to chassis bonding straps should be? I have no dash instuments except RPM and MPH.
:shrug:

Putter said:
Ok this might be part of my cars problem. Does anyone have a pic of where the block to chassis and the battery to chassis bonding straps should be? I have no dash instuments except RPM and MPH.

That could be caused by the "voltage regulator" ont he back of hte cluster.

Putter said:

IIs never had a block to chassis ground, other than the batt cable. The chassis ground was through the batt cable at the firewall, just below the pinchweld near the pass side hood hinge. The cable then continued to the block, thereby providing both grounds through one cable.

**The above applies to 302 cars. I have not spent any time examining the 2.3 or 2.8 cars' cable setups.**

In this handler pic, the ground tab is in the orange circle.

Attachments

• handler.jpg
    handler.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 129