headlights not working

jnasty916

Aug 22, 2011
so i have no power at the lights on my 90 GT conv. replaced the switch, realay works like the new one i teste in it at autozone. and fuse 4 on my fuse box is fine. som tips or pointers. i did recently have my steering wheel out because i was changing out the pedal assembly, im not sure if any of the wires on the steering wheel harnesses have anything to so with the lights.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same problem on my 91 GT; no high or low beem. Checked the bulbs, fuse, replaced the headlight switch, even rewired some the wires on the headlight connecter. Took it to a mechanic to diagnose it today but they said it'll take a few hours to diagnose charging $90 AN HOUR!!!! At that price you might as well replace the whole wiring system yourself for $180. If you changed the steering wheel, you should check the harnesses to the multi-function switch, that would be the most likely issue arising from changing the strearing wheel.

SEE Mustang GT Fog Light Fix to fix the foglight problem. The stock wiring isn't up to the job and is overheating. The headlight switch & turn/multifunction switch are affected by Ford's wiring problem. Sometimes it overheats so badly that the plastic shells of the wiring connectors start to melt. This will show you how to add a relay to the fog lights to relieve the overload on the headlight wiring.

Multifunction turn signal switch:
Before you think about replacing the multifunction switch with one from the junkyard, here's some things to be aware of...

The problem is more common in GT models because they had fog lights on the same power wiring as the headlights. Ford undersized the wire and that caused problems.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it.

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal & headlight malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.