Headlights won't turn on

ShinGT

Nov 21, 2003
Newark, NJ
Today in the morning, my headlights suddenly shut off. The wierd part is that the other lights were on, accessory and signal were on. Just the headlights won't turn on. I opened the center console and found that the part that connects to the headlight switch is somewhat burned. Any one can tell me what I have to replace?? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Its prolly the switch itself. If the plug is not burnt too badly from the switch frying, then you can prolly re-use it. Clean up the blades in it. Or spray it out with contact cleaner and pop a new switch in. You can find out for sure with a test light, and a Haynes Manual, they give wire colors.

I have sorta the same issue, my lights will flicker sometimes, just on and off for no reason, i suspect that i have a minor short somewhere that trips the little ciruct breaker in the switch or something, my grounds are good and it doesn't happen because of bumps or anything, it seems to auctually happen when i'm going slow, as if they can't cool down?? I've just decided to ignore it for now (it doesn't happen half as much) so if you figure out what's happening i'd love to know. one thing i did do was drill little holes in the bottom corners of my lights because i noticed i had some condensation in there (auctually a puddle...) and that seemed to help a little... but i'm not sure.

Good luck!
-Bart

This kit is designed to fix the headlight flickering problem often found in 1987-93 GT Mustangs. This problem occurs when the headlamp circuit #15 is overheated. If your headlamps are flickering on and off when the foglamps are used for an extended period of time, this could be the problem.

from 50resto.com

its 2 differnt possibilities or possibly both. 1 TEST the light switch in the dash and check wires to see if burnt. If it is ok then you will likely need to change the Multifunction switch AKA turn signal assy it has the wipers lights fog lights headlights etc all ran thru it. I just replaced mine and I used the corral website article to rewire my fog lights while i was at it so they dont overload the switches again.

Heres some diagrams.
2000xp8 was kind enough to scan these for me when i was trouble shooting my 91. It helped tremendously.

Testing the headlamp switch is easy. Just snap the switch out and locate the Red wire with Yellow Stripe with the light switched on the re/yelow should have 12 volts +/-. This is the 12volt out to headlights but it goes to the MF switch andthen out to the headlights. if you have power coming out of the head lamp switch then it is likely the MF switch. One other possibility is that the red yellow wire has burnt the connector plug at the MF switch and came loose. To get to the MF switch remove the plastic collar around the steering coulmn. it has 2 screws that you remove from the bottom. the turn signal assy can then be removed by removeing the 2 screws that hold it on the column. its not hard.

lights1.jpg

lights2.jpg

lights3.jpg

lights4.jpg

There is an overheat breaker in the headlight switch (what allows the flickering on GT's to occur. The fogs were added to the headlight circuit, which is what the relay rewire circumvents).

one last thing to check is that the Red/yel wire that Shawn mentioned did not come loose at the MF switch connector. Once the shroud is off, you can see the MF connector somewhat.

Do you also not have brights, but flash-to-pass still work?

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
one last thing to check is that the Red/yel wire that Shawn mentioned did not come loose at the MF switch connector. Once the shroud is off, you can see the MF connector somewhat.

Do you also not have brights, but flash-to-pass still work?

Good luck.

I mentioned that :D

5.0Droptop said:
I mentioned that :D
I mentioned it first, but on a thread I think you had awhile back when your issue cropped up. :D

Seriously, Sorry I missed it in all your nice diagrams. :nice: