Heads

Anaconda

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
Memphis, Tn
Guys,

I got a set of GT40P heads and headers, heads have been checked and are good, can these be installed and provide good results, I have heard to change the springs. What are your thoughts? Will install on a 302w/Bcam for now, but considering a 306w/Ecam.

• Sponsors (?)

yes they can be installed with decent results. It's a modest upgrade over stock e7's. You should change the springs with any cam change. The letter cams B and C are ok cams, but you are dealing with ancient technology....there are many other cam choices that would yield far better results. I have run both cams on different applications...both are more bark than bite

I agree^^^

If I was going to go with a letter cam I'd use an E over a B. However, if you don't have a cam yet, I'd go with a Comp Cam or a custom cam to really get the most out of your setup.

Guys,

I got a set of GT40P heads and headers, heads have been checked and are good, can these be installed and provide good results, I have heard to change the springs. What are your thoughts? Will install on a 302w/Bcam for now, but considering a 306w/Ecam.

what was "checked" on the heads? guide wear, deck surface flatness, spring pressure and installed height, valve seats, etc.....

as far as the cam goes, i would highly recommend you contact cam motion and have a custom cam ground for your specific application. it will run you an extra hundred bones or so but it will be optimized for your exact usage!

once you select a cam then you can then determine what springs you will need, if you have enough piston to valve clearance, if you have the correct rocker arm geometry and what length push rods you will need. (you may be able to keep the stock push rods but there are several variables that will determine this)

i have a pair of highly massaged gt-40-p heads on my 306 boat engine. they are just about the same as my aluminum gt-40 heads on my car. they flow 226 on the intake at .600 lift.

good luck!