heater core bypass

dre2013

Jun 13, 2004
bought an 87 gt yesterday..306 crate motor, trickflow intake mani, heads, cam, etc..a/c deleted. car runs great but last night after a WOT run i pulled into my driveway and was greeted with white smoke from under the hood. turns out its leaking from the heater core drain. This car won't be getting driven in the winter so i want to just bypass it for now. anyone have any pics of what to do? i did a search but couldnt find any pics.

its coming from the black grommet looking thing towards the bottom of the firewall
View attachment 252069

• Sponsors (?)

The heater core shouldn't have a drain on it. To bypass your heatercore all you need to do is pull the hoses off the heatercore and look for a way to connect the two hoses together so it doesent flow through the heater core. I would go to the parts store and look for a hose to connect the two metal lines that are mounted on the intake

The drain is the A/C water runoff drain. When the core blows, coolant runs out here too.

I think parts stores sell a heater core bypass kit which is just a hose nipple and two clamps