Heater core comparison question

• Sponsors (?)

yea mine looks like that, but since they are already gone. I was hoping someone could let me know where to put them. And what size hoses when I go to re-install.

Are you asking about the metal tubes on the lower intake? Are they missing? As was said, the hoses have unique sizes and will only fit the correct tubes. And I got new rubber hoses from my local Ford dealer also last year, for about $25 or so.

Here is a pic of the lower intake metal tubes from an ebay auction. The heater core hoses attach to the left side openings:

View attachment 411970

Auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-9...9QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33548QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most will tell you to get an Ford one but I will not. The last 2 Ford ones I have put in have been ass. Not even lasting 6 months.

The one I just put in my '90 was an Autozone one.

As far as the difficulty. It will vary and depends on whether you have working ac or not. You can do it in about 2.5 hrs, I can (you find alot of shortcuts the 2nd time). But it will take you a great deal longer if its your first one. Alot of shops will not touch one in a fox.
Here's a link for some info. http://users2.ev1.net/~calley/Sally/heater_core/

can someone please explain to me why a newly installed heater core would last ony 6 months!:eek: i just recently did mine... and i dont really wanna do it agian!

ps i slightly, Very slightly brushed a few fins on the HVAC box while putting the heater core in ... i hope that doesnt cause iit to leak!

They only last 6 months because the surfaces are not painted....the core is made of lesser materials and is under pressure.

This is why I recommended the tranny cooler. It IS painted, made of all aluminum so it wont rust and designed for much higher pressures than a heater core.

The most effective heater core I have ever used is...ironically...a stacked plate 28,000 GVW tru-cool transmission cooler. It belts out so much heat, it puts the heater core to shame and the plates are so thick they wil never rust through.

Best part, they are only $80 on ebay new in the box and they are even smaller than the mustang heater core to boot.

Best of all worlds. If you think about it, a cooler and a heater are basically the same thing. You are dumping engine waste heat into the cabin.

I like it whats part number ect:flag:

The most effective heater core I have ever used is...ironically...a stacked plate 28,000 GVW tru-cool transmission cooler. It belts out so much heat, it puts the heater core to shame and the plates are so thick they wil never rust through.

Best part, they are only $80 on ebay new in the box and they are even smaller than the mustang heater core to boot.

Best of all worlds. If you think about it, a cooler and a heater are basically the same thing. You are dumping engine waste heat into the cabin.

yeah i been thinkin of a homeade something like a tuba type core w/out the fragile fins!:nice:

Your link didn't work for me. If you guys just know the part number that will work because I found a bunch when I searched tru-cool on ebay. Also when you say we'll have to adapt the lines can you give us an idea of what you're talking about? Better yet give us a step by step with some detailed pictures so we can put this in the useful tech thread :D.

Your link didn't work for me. If you guys just know the part number that will work because I found a bunch when I searched tru-cool on ebay. Also when you say we'll have to adapt the lines can you give us an idea of what you're talking about? Better yet give us a step by step with some detailed pictures so we can put this in the useful tech thread :D.

sorry about that, should have double checked it. i did the same as you, searched "tru cool transmission" and was trying to show everything that popped up.

agreed with tmoss, a part # on the one used would be helpful if available.