Heater Core / Dash removal

Mar 20, 2009
So I got coolant leaking behind the dash, and I assume its the heater core :notnice::notnice::notnice::notnice::notnice::notnice::notnice::notnice:
I'll know for sure once the dash is off.

Any really good guides to removing he dash?? I've removed a dash from a '86 GT but never the SN95's. That was a nightmare I can only imagine what this is gonna be like.

• Sponsors (?)

You can actually get away without removing the dash. Drop the steering column, and remove the bolts that hold the dash in place. There are like 3 bolts holding the HVAC box in. Two at the top, and one at the bottom. If you remove the passenger seat, you can pull the dash back enough to slide the HVAC box out the bottom.

Kurt

It's tight, but not the end of the world. I should add, that if you slip out the entire HVAC box, you will need to disconnect the AC. If you take the dash off, you can change just the heater core. I'm not sure if that's an issue for you. I've done this job on a Fox and an SN.

Kurt

I'm glad you mentioned about having to disconnect the AC if I take out the HVAC box. Id like to not have to do that. So maybe taking off the dash completely is the better way to go.

I thought I saw some guide awhile back on how to do this.

Ok yeah, you're going to have to take the dash off. It's really not that hard. If you have a Haynes manual, it outlines it pretty well. the important thing is that you can just drop the steering column on the floor. So that's not even an issue. The rest is just a few bolts connectors and such.

Kurt

I've removed a couple of SN-95 dashes, so I can tell you that Kurt is definitely correct. There are bolts everywhere, including (I think) behind the vents near the doors. Be patient, and don't yank the dash out until you're sure all the bolts are out. Also, you have a couple of hoses leading to the HVAC system from the dash and a couple of electrical connectors too; so be sure everything is unhooked before you yank out the dash.

If you want enough room to work, you'll need to pull the dash completely out of the car. You can probably do the work with the dash still in, but I would imagine it would cause more work. I'd recommend having a buddy help you lift the dash out, it'll be much easier and you probably won't scratch up your interior. After dropping the steering wheel, I'd just disconnect the steering shaft from the unit and move the steering wheel out of the way. Also much easier if you pull both seats.

Its not that bad ive done like 3... just set about 4 hours aside and you will be good. Most everything is 8mm... then 15mm under the column i think. make sure you have a 1/4'' socket and a few extensions. I always take out the seats for more room so i can lay on my back to do the column. Air tools will make it go quicker :p

IMG_4387.jpg

There are some 10mm hiding in there two. the A-pillars pop right off. there are a bunch of screws under the defrost vent. The Defrost vent pops right off too.

Kurt

There are some 10mm hiding in there two. the A-pillars pop right off. there are a bunch of screws under the defrost vent. The Defrost vent pops right off too.

Kurt

Yea maybe a 12mm or 2 as well... isnt there a 5.5mm some where??? and some t20's :p

The defrost vent only pops right off if its not hard and brittle from the sun then it falls apart in your hands:rlaugh:

I think I am going to need to do a heater core in the near future. I was pretty nervous about taking on a task like this, then I saw the picture Adam put up. Now I am plain scared :poo:less. I think the most nerve racking thing is seeing a mini sledge on the pass side floor. I have heard the expression if it don't work, get a bigger hammer, but com'on what could you need that for.