Heater Core mess again! just two years later...

I’m pretty annoyed right now… I replaced my leaky heater core about two years ago. To my surprise I pulled out the factory original (or replacement). It had the FoMoCo stamp on it and was just leaking a drip here and there. The other day my new replacement one started leaking all over the place! Lucky I have rubber floor mats and I was almost home or my (already crappy) carpet would have been even more ruined! So now I have to pull apart all of the new crap I rebuilt under the dash ( I know it is not as hard as new car but still!) and replace the stupid core yet again… just two years later. What is a good brand to buy this time around? The one from mustangs unlimited just didn’t cut it and I’m not going through another winter without heat! (and yes, it was installed perfectly just for those who doubt! =-) )

• Sponsors (?)

i believe some type of treatment is required before the core is installed. My father in laws Oldsmobile had gone thru 2 heater cores, and it turns out that the shop didnt follow proper procedure which led to the new core going bad. I think he said osmosis or something to that effect. Check the internet and I bet you will see what I am talking about. Also, You should be using distilled water and anti freeze mix, tap water will corrode your system really quick.

I think mine is a Mustangs Unlimited, its been in for about four years. Maybe you just got a bad one? Something that came to mind is if your radiator cap is working and/or if it is too high of pressure to make the core blow. If it was too high pressure I think something would have popped before 2 years though.

I've heard of people using distilled water but my dad never used it and I never have and we have not had any problems.

Maybe have it pressure checked

I feel your pain man ! I did this once long ago and I think can still see the scars and recall a very sore back.

I imagine a creative Rad shop could pressure test one for you and maybe inspect and repair a thin joint.

Just a suggestion.
:shrug:

Maybe it had a thin spot on a seam or something.

And what the hell do you need a heater in florida for anyways? I could (and have) gone swimming in the ocean even on cool nights when I visit down there.