Heater Core

• Sponsors (?)

you can actually do it in less than 12 hours.my brother just did his in his 88 turbo coupe last weekend.it was his first attempt at a job like this.he did it in less than 6 hours without my help.you do need to remove the console and drop the steering column.there's less than 10 bolts you need to remove to take out the dash assembly.you don't need to remove the dash completely out of the car or remove the heater box out of the either.all you need to do is loosen the box and pull it in the car enough to get the lid off of the box.do use a ford heater core,my brother got his for $48 from ford even though the counter man said it was discontinued until he punched in the # i gave him.i've did the heater core in my 88 lx about 2 years ago and it's very similar to the t-bird r&r instructions.

ratrapp2 said:
you can actually do it in less than 12 hours.
Less than 12 hrs being good? I've done mine in under 8 hrs. I don't remeber exactly how long it took, but I think it was closer to 6 hrs.
You don't have to pull the dash out of the car, just pull it back. Once you get the 4 screws off the top of the heater box, it is all down hill from there.
PS: it goes faster when you leave the beer for when you are done. ;)

i know you can do it quicker than 12 hours.i was only quoting crovax saying it takes 11-13 hours.some people are just faster than others.i did mine in less than 6 hours and so did my brother.

Here are a few pics from when I did mine.

314319_124_full.jpg

314319_125_full.jpg

Its not that hard, I did my last one in 5 hrs, 33 minutes, but who keeps tabs on that kind of stuff.

The Mustang Monthly article mentioned earlier saved me at least an hour because I did not have to remove the top of the box.

I have done this at least 5 times between the three Foxes that I have.

The 87 up cars are slightly easier than the 79 to 86 ones.

I would like to say thanks to yall for the responses..... I got my new heater core in the ride. Pretty much completed... Need to put a few peices of teh consol back in. But since Everything is open took the opertunity to run a few wires I have been neglecting. The MM article helped a ton... It made the job relativly painless. Oh it took me 3 days... I didnt get to work the job all the way through. Although I did get the core out in 2 hrs. That pesky work gets in the way of my car building time. :Damnit:

Not sure I would worry about the Ford core, as thats what leaked in the first place. I have had 2 non Ford replacements fail also. The original failed in about 8 years, the second one in 5 more, and its replacement failed 12 years later. I also have had two non ac units fail on my 82. That one only takes an hour or so to change, but the first one leaked a couple gallons into the ducts, and it smelled for a year.