Heating my garage for winter projects

dbdragracing

Dec 1, 2004
I have a 400 sq. ft. garage and I will be using it this winter to do my T5 and 5 lug swap! I would like to find an easy way to heat the garage, but I dont want it hooked into the house heating system....any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The walls are drywalled and insulated, but the ceiling is only drywalled. I plan on insulating it once it starts getting cooler outside. Do the propane heaters put out any fumes? Thanks.

dbdragracing said:
The walls are drywalled and insulated, but the ceiling is only drywalled. I plan on insulating it once it starts getting cooler outside. Do the propane heaters put out any fumes? Thanks.
Not much if any..Maybe a stoker stove you burn coal in they friggen put out crazy heat.. In my granpas garage we used to have a wood burner that thing put out crazy heat too.

Reddy heater, herosene heater and propane heater would all have few fumes and are efficient and heat quick. A coal burner or wood stove is a lot of work to keep going and they stink the place up.

i bought one of these. paid about $150 CDN for it. 80 000 BTU
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=45&id=25

my garage is a 2.5 car garage with NO insulation and NO drywall. one day when it was -31F outside i fired it up on high just to see how warm i could get it, i ended up getting it up to like 35F and i could work in a sweater.

the trick with propane is ventalation if you wanna live lol. i had a electric heater blowing air in from the window to get some fresh air in. what i ussually do is run it on HIGH for about 15 mins till its warm enough then i run it on low while i'm working, once i feel the cold coming back i crank it on high for another 10 mins and turn it back down. the propane has an odor when burnt but you get used to it really quick

BTW where i live winter is -30F for alot of the winter

88_GT_5_oh said:
i bought one of these. paid about $150 CDN for it. 80 000 BTU
http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=45&id=25

my garage is a 2.5 car garage with NO insulation and NO drywall. one day when it was -31F outside i fired it up on high just to see how warm i could get it, i ended up getting it up to like 35F and i could work in a sweater.

the trick with propane is ventalation if you wanna live lol. i had a electric heater blowing air in from the window to get some fresh air in. what i ussually do is run it on HIGH for about 15 mins till its warm enough then i run it on low while i'm working, once i feel the cold coming back i crank it on high for another 10 mins and turn it back down. the propane has an odor when burnt but you get used to it really quick

BTW where i live winter is -30F for alot of the winter
Yeah they sell bullet heaters too they friggen Rawk.

dbdragracing said:
I was looking at this heater....has anyone used one of these:

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=46&id=29

Thanks for all the help!

Yes, I have something very similar. It works great and heats a two garage in no time. The only problem that I have with it is if you are working with someone it is hard to talk to them because the heater is very loud. Also have to give up the radio.

I have a smaller garage than most. Just a single car. I have one of these in there now:
mh12twhite.jpg

After looking at the site posted above, I think I'll be getting one of these:
mh18b_sm.jpg

I can take the thing camping and ice fishing too! 18,000 BTU for $129 from Cabellas. I'm on it.

dbdragracing said:
I was looking at this heater....has anyone used one of these:

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=46&id=29

Thanks for all the help!

those work well cause they have a fan built in but they can get pretty loud. with the convection one i have its 80 000 btu and i just hung a normal house fan in the rafters blowng the hot air towards where i am working. i found the best way to keep the heat is to run a fan or 2 in my rafters to help circulate the air.

i also have a single car garage and i use a karasine(SP?) heater.. holds about 5 gallons and when my father and i were working on a motorcycle.. with the door open it felt like 72 in there, when it was about 20 out side.. i almost put my swimming trunks on with a tank top...