Help a brother out

cheapstang

Jul 11, 2004
Omaha, Nebraska
Alright, i have been into mustangs for about a year or so now...I have been all eyes and ears and now have some questions about a build im going to be doing this summer with minimal help from my father. I landed an 87 that was a 4 banger and i will have lined up 8.8 inch rear w/disks and hopefully 3.73s, just a stock t-5, and sub frames. All other things aside, its a build so itll come kind of slow...It will be somewhat daily driven beside those few hard cold winter months in Nebraska we have...I am asking about the engine department...I can build this car for under $1000 not blemish free, not beautiful, not to shine and show off but to have something more worthy than a massive majority of (high school tuners :nonono: ) I dont bash them but they talk enough **** to piss anyone off...No i was not given moms car to drive...ive worked for years, saving all my money and a 4 banger stang is all i could find as of right now...It leads me to having a car to sell and use all of that money for the engine. I plan on spending more money on the engine than anything else on the car. I have plenty of options 351? 302? 2.3t? I just need a good shove in the right direction. I am kind of just rambling on but I have nothing but a solid roller as of now... i have no more than probably around 1000 to spend on a dependable engine... Any one wana push me in the right direction...Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

-Kyle-

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if this helps but keep saving $$$ and do it all right the first time. Sometimes the cheap way will lead you the wrong way and you will regret it later. That is what I did on my 1st Stang build up and it was a headache. So this time around I will be taking my time and spending the $$$ much wiser.

1000 bucks? abosolutely.
dig up a 302 block out of numerous vehicles (just make sure its a roller),
then grab a set of gt40p's from a 97+ explorer, along with the lower intake manifold (which is identical to the gt40 lower). then you need to find a gt40 upper, not sure on the tb (mines a bbk 65mm), and grab a maf from a later stang (I forget the years). In good shape, that engine should be good for about 275hp +/-, but while your building it you might as well splurge and grab a cam, which will leave you at about the big 300. The only minus to this setup, is that you need to get gt40p specific shortie headers (pricey), or longtube headers (WORTH IT). thats basically my setup, and Im very happy with it. I think a 351 would blow your budget, and at the level your at, the extra ci's arent so very crucial. good luck. happy modding.

I'm right in the middle of installing a gt40 p headed 97 explorer motor into my 86. Cost me $650 for 60k original miles. That's the most affordable "performance" option. ON a budget, though, you can get a used mustang 5.0 for $300-400 running.

can a 351 be secured and dropped in for under a grand running? I'm not sure about them, sounds great on paper. the 351's came in trucks, so is a late model 351 gonna be better than a compareable 5.0 with gt40 heads and the explorer intake? different things to consider. ALL things aside, a 351 would be great, but I smell expensive.

v8only said:
I'm right in the middle of installing a gt40 p headed 97 explorer motor into my 86. Cost me $650 for 60k original miles. That's the most affordable "performance" option. ON a budget, though, you can get a used mustang 5.0 for $300-400 running.
thats wierd....thats exactly what I have, a 60k mile, 97 explorer longblock. Its all forged right?