Help a mod motor guy build a beast

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
After 3 motors, camswaps, 2 PI headswaps, 4 sets of different wheels, and hundreds of passes at the track, I sold my 2v this year. The car just got too expensive and performance parts are too much for a college budget. I am looking to build a weekend beast for under 10k. I would really like a 90-93 car. Do you think it would be better to buy a used drag car and have it checked out by my mechanic (ex NMRA racer in many classes) or build one from the bottom up? My goal for the car is to trap in the 120mph area on motor or with a blower(which might make it tough for the money I am willing to spend). All opinions welcome. Mods, feel free to move if this is not suitable for tech.

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

For ten grand, you could find a really nice car that is pretty much done. Whether youve got a mod motor or a 5.0, your gooing to be spending plenty of money. Im guessing that buying the car is included in the 10k, correct? Thatll leave you with only about 5-6 tops to play with, assuming you buy a nice car.

TIMMY2734 said:
For ten grand, you could find a really nice car that is pretty much done. Whether youve got a mod motor or a 5.0, your gooing to be spending plenty of money. Im guessing that buying the car is included in the 10k, correct? Thatll leave you with only about 5-6 tops to play with, assuming you buy a nice car.

Timmy, that is correct. Around 10 grand for everything. My 98 was my daily driver, and that was a big mistake. I could not afford to fix my daily driver when I broke something at the track. I am just looking for a weekend warrior to either tow or drive out to the track.

you should do something similar as i have. im normally a chevy guy but have had a yearning for a mustang since i was a kid. im 39 now and have owned my mustang for 3 years. find a 4cyl model mustang. can usually find decent shape donor around a 1000$ i then bought 2 wrecked v8 models 4 parts 8.8 rearend, guages, etc 800$ totaling both vehicles. bought a DART sportsman block, set of 225 AFR heads, carb&intake RPM airgap (my preference) custom cam, DSS stroker rotateing assembly, ARP throughout the motor, and various other items 2 complete the motor includeing aftermarket HEI distributor and offroad exhaust (mandrel bends) with full length stepped headers and replaced rear control arms with spherical type and frame connectors and coilovers, full roll cage 2 further stiffen up the vehicle doing all the work myself netting over 440 RWHP off the juice totaling 8500$ for my project!
so 10,000$ will be plenty if you can do the majority or all of the work yourself.
have fun! i know i most definitely do!

There was a 92 or 93 rolling chassis for sale around here for a long time. It had a built rear end, full drag suspension, and a 12 pt cage and it was going for like $2,000. It just needed an engine and transmission, and the paint was a little faded but there were no dents or anything. If you found something like that it might save you some money.

ComfortablyNumb said:
There was a 92 or 93 rolling chassis for sale around here for a long time. It had a built rear end, full drag suspension, and a 12 pt cage and it was going for like $2,000. It just needed an engine and transmission, and the paint was a little faded but there were no dents or anything. If you found something like that it might save you some money.

Thats what id really look for. Im sure everybody would love a dart based motor, but thats gonna eat up 4-5 on its own. That only leaves about 5,000 to buy the car, all the induction componenets, fuel system, not to mention the drivetrain

thanks for the help guys.

Wildstang- I know the suspension is the key. It killed me with my last car at the track bc I was running C springs and non adjustable tokico shocks and struts. I couldnt get the car to cut better than a 1.83 sixty foot on nitto DR's, and was consistantly cutting 1.90's while my buddies would kill me out of the whole with drag suspension.

if you take the time and are not in any hurry to complete your project you can browse the strips and find good used seasoned parts as i have (dart block) way below cost and various other items.
but thats just me, i try 2 find high quality used parts before shelling major greens....4 new parts.
some people like me prefer seasoned blocks. and you cant beat the price.