HELP ASAP INTAKE PROBLEM

Musty5.0

Apr 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I bought a trickflow intake for my 95 Mustang gt and got it on and back together now car will start for 2 seconds then die the only thing i can see wrong is the upper intake space doesn't seem to be tight but its all bolted down and i don't wanna force it cause i know its gonna snap a bolt what can i do and would that stop the car from running??:eek:

• Sponsors (?)

Trickflow intake no start

I bought a trickflow intake for my 95 Mustang gt and got it on and back together now car will start for 2 seconds then die the only thing i can see wrong is the upper intake spacer doesn't seem to be tight i can move it a lil but its all bolted down and i don't wanna force it cause i know its gonna snap a bolt what can i do and would that stop the car from running like it fire quick then dies if i hit the gas while starting it it revs real loud then dies??

Sounds like a vac leak. Check all the lines and make sure nothing is not hooked up. Then make sure your lines to the tree are correct. And you should not be able to move your spacer (why do you even have a spacer? They are useless)

I bought a trickflow intake for my 95 Mustang gt and got it on and back together now car will start for 2 seconds then die the only thing i can see wrong is the upper intake space doesn't seem to be tight but its all bolted down and i don't wanna force it cause i know its gonna snap a bolt what can i do and would that stop the car from running??:eek:

your using a spacer between the upper/lower intake?did you use gaskets on both sides of the spacer?

the upper must have an air tight seal with the lower,otherwise you will be sucking in a ton of unmetered air.

Posted via Mobile Device

I believe Trick flow uses ARP bolts...you'll snap the casting of the intake before the bolt.

But either way....when putting the top intake on you put the 4 studs in first (Coarse side of the stud goes into the lower manifold. Then tighten the studs down a 1/4-1/2 turn the with a vise grip after you get it tightened by hand. Clamp the smooth part of the stud!!! Then toss lower gasket on....then spacer then top gasket....then evenly drop the intake on. Follow manufacture torque sequence.

BTW I've seen the Valve cover clearance issues on the 94/95. (i have a friend with a 347)
So a spacer is a easy way to get clearance and prob. help keep the upper intake a bit cooler.

But i would use it for clearance and cooling...not a HP gain.

K what i did today was took the upper intake back off then put gasket seal on the lowere intake then put the gasket down put seal on the gasket put the spacer down put seal on the spacer put the top gasket down seal on the gasket then put seal on the bottom off the upper intake bolted it down and put it all back together then i said a prayer and put the key in and turned it over then............VROOOOOOM Hell yeah thanks for everyones input the only question i have now is when i took it for a drive it stalled on me at the first lights is that normal cause its different then its use too???

No, thats not normal. Just to be sure, I would reset the cars computer by disconnecting the battery cable. Let it sit for 20 mins, then reconnect. Fire the car up, and let it sit and idle for 10-15 minutes at least. You will be able to hear via the exhaust the car's computer try different adaptability algorithms. After it settles down for 5 minutes, then start driving it. Your computer has to relearn the idle first, then you can drive it around.

There are a million and 1 issues that could cause stalling after an intake install. We can take it 1 issue at a time.

Adam

i don't know yet to be honest i got it all fixed then i took it right to ford to get my new oil pan put on then i can finnaly see that its running right and see the difference in power what do you think i gained with that on all i have is underdrive cold air off road hpipe and flowmaster plugs and wires 255 fuel pump?

See now i get it back from ford and the starter is faulty i just put a starter on it from last year and now its bad so i had to take it from ford to canadian tire cause once i shut it off it won't turnover this is just my luck... I havn't even got to open it up yet but man the tfi really gives it a nice sound!!!!

Just got confirmation, get a can of carb cleaner. Then fire up the car and get it running. Take the carb cleaner (which is mostly alcohol) and spray the carb cleaner all around the intake when it is running. I mean coat the mother. If you still have a vacuum leak, the intake will suck the carb cleaner in and you will be able to hear the engine jump as it gets the alcohol. You have to get all around the engine though to make sure.

Its not perfect, but 95% of the time its a quick, cheap, and painless way to detect a vacuum leak.

Lets figure out the intake first before we get to the starter. Sounds like you're having a rough time, remember, it always comes in threes!

Adam

K i'm gonna try that then once i get it back man i wanna rip around in it so bad right now just waiting for the warranty work to get done then i'll try that and tell ya what happened.... man its nice to have this site all my friends are chevy drivers so noone really helps me with questions they say you want it to run right buy a chev.... BUT NEVER I"M A MUSTANG MAN!!!!