help! auto to manual conversion.....won't start!

jackchan

Oct 17, 2004
Mobile Alabama
we just converted my buddys 90 model coupe over from an automatic car to a manual transmission car. Well everything seemed to go well. Clutch pedal assembly under the dash, trans, everything we thought we needed. Problem is it will not turn the starter over with the key switch??? if we jump the solonoid out it will crank up and run fine. But it will not start with the key switch. Any suggestions?
thanks
Ben

• Sponsors (?)

Check to see if your reverse lights come in when you try to start it. Same thing happened to me, turned out the backup light and neutral safety switch were backwards on the harness I bought.

There is another switch connected to the pedal assembly. When you do the swap, there is a harness by the pedals that plugs into your new 5 speed assembly. When the car is an auto, there is just a little piece in the end that overrides the swtich. If you did plug that harness into the pedal assembly, then it also has to be adjusted correctly.

I would start at the ignition switch and work downstream (you can probably omit the ignition switch itself). See if you have cranking juice at the input terminal on the CSS and go from there.

As an aside, does one have to do some repinning or something at the puter (if keeping the A9P)?

Good luck Ben.

the car does still have the A9P computer, the only other thing I'm not sure about is that my buddy changed the pedal assembly out from under the dash, and took the steering wheel completely out....while doing it. When he pulled the column, the ignition switch (not the key but the one with the tamper proof screws) fell apart, and we had to buy a new one. When this happened we went by our local fastner place and picked up a couple machine screws (possibly metric) that holds it in. everything seemed to go back correctly, as I didnt have my hand in on this,..........just general directions. Everthing seemed ok, but you know how that goes.!!!

also a another buddy told me with the key on some of the 4 wires under the bottem of the car should have some voltage on em. Well they all are 0 voltage. So that has me thinking blown fuse or something.
thanks for your help!
Ben

put the auto jumper plug back instead of the neutral saftey switch on the clutch pedal. i didnt need a jumper harness for the tranny my aod had an extension harness in it i unplugged it and it plugged directly into the t-5 everything works!