HELP-crank pulley trouble

68GEETEE

5 Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Texas, USA
I have a 68 302 4bbl. The crank pulley wobbles noticeably. I removed it yesterday and checked it with a straight edge, it does not seem to be bent.

The harmonic balancer does not wobble, but has what looks like rubber flaking off of it, no doubt its the original. Is that causing the wobble? I am afraid its going to throw my belts. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

The outer ring of the damper may be loose. But more likely the pulley's bent. The pulley's bolted to the center of the balancer, it's not attached to the outer ring. Did you try turning the motor with the starter only and watching the balancer without the pulley on it ?

Just because your pulley is straight on the top doesn't mean it's not fatigued or bent somewhere else.... but it is a good start.

I would also assume the pulley is slightly off which would be greatly exaggerated when the mass rotates.

I would check the balancer as the motor turns (I'd probably go so far as to start the motor for a few seconds) and see if it is straight. If it looks good, a new pulley would be my suggestion.

If you have a few dollars, it is relatively inexpensive to get a serpentine setup for a 302. I have done this with my 351c and I'm very pleased.

I have not started it without the pulley, I will do that and see what happens. Are the small pieces of rubber flaking off near the outer ring of the balancer anything I should worry about? How would I know if it should be replaced?

Also, is there a torque setting for the bolts that hold the pulley?

Thanks for your help.

my buddy had the same problem with a chrome pulley he bought. I found the previous "mechanic" elongated the holes, but that wasnt the problem.Look at the center bore and more then likely its not centered because iots its 2 pieces of metal welded together. We ended up replacing it, but had to inspect about 4 before we found one that was decent.

Are the small pieces of rubber flaking off near the outer ring of the balancer anything I should worry about? How would I know if it should be replaced?

Also, is there a torque setting for the bolts that hold the pulley?

Just the fact that the damper rubber is flaking is grounds for replacement.

Yes there is a torque rating for the pulley to damper bolts, but I dont have it off-hand. I wouldn't expect it to be more than about 45lb-ft.

I dont think the flaking of the rubber is anything to worry about. Pretty much all of the ones I have seen have been like that, and I read that Ford claimed that it wouldnt affect the damper.