help. dead strut

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so my front left strut is dead. it doesnt rebound or whatever and its taking bumps really roughly. the right side is fine, but drivers side is like a rock. i have my new shocks and struts in but i wont be able to install them for a few more days here. i was thinking, can that bend my unibody? i have SFC's welded in. my strut mount bushings are dead, its knocking allot going from lock to lock ish and i feel like its messin with the alignment of all my pannels. i noticed when driving that i have a little dent now right here

fender.jpg

on the quarter pannel directly across where the hood ends. some of the gaps seem t be off too. i just feel like its twisting my car somehow because when i hit a bump its throwing back all the weight to the other corners.

if it is can it be fixed?

• Sponsors (?)

replace the struts, there is no reason to drive around on a bad strut, so i'd get rid of it and get a new set.

and while they are out i'd get 2 new struts, for a street performance car i'd get a nice adjustable strut, you can adjust for a good riding car on the street, if you go to the drag strip you can loosen them up for good weight transfer, and if you go to an autox event or just like carving corners, you can tighten them up for better handling.

and if it were me i'd replace the rear shocks while i am at it, they are cheaper anyways.

strange makes a good piece, check out summitracing the struts are a little over 100$ each and the shocks are 80 ea.

as for install its easy and can be done with simple tools, ratchets and sockets, an impact makes the job go by fast,

for the front jack the front up, place a jack under the control arm, loosen the top nut right over the alignment plates in the engine compartment, then take out the 2 big bolts holding the strut to the spindle. be sure the control is supported good, as the strut is the only thing holding it all up, if it isnt supported the arm will drop and the spring may pop out.

for the rear, just jack it up, support the side your changing, loosen the top nut in the hatch, there is a small circle insert piece in the hatch area, thats where the nut it, take it off, then take the shock off down below, and replace with the new one. EASY AS PIE

and i could see the panels moving around, if the strut isnt stopping the spring, something else will move.
and i seriously doubt the unibody is bent.

just replace the stuff and your problems should be solved.

btw car looks nice