help!!!!! engine swap

henrie

Jun 23, 2003
I have a 4.6 engine from a wrecked crownvictoria police inteceptor, and i want to put it in my 95 coupe. what will i need to put it in, will i need the computer, carbon canistors, wiring harness from the vic. will it bolt up to the tranny or will i need to get one from a 96? any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

henrie said:
I have a 4.6 engine from a wrecked crownvictoria police inteceptor, and i want to put it in my 95 coupe. what will i need to put it in, will i need the computer, carbon canistors, wiring harness from the vic. will it bolt up to the tranny or will i need to get one from a 96? any help would be appreciated.

Henrie-

You're gonna want to find someone that's DONE it...unless you know so much about it that you probably shouldn't need to be asking here. People's opinions and guesses are gonna get you nowhere - and you're gonna get a LOT of them.

I swapped a Chevy small block into a Chrysler Conquest a couple years back. It runs, and I've put about 12,000 miles on it, but it's still a work in progress. It'll SMOKE my '03 GT (380hp in a lighter car will do that to you)...but it's not nearly as comfortable or reliable (16 years, and NEARLY solid motor mounts will do THAT to you) as my Stang. I like them both for different reasons. They're both very sharp. Pulling up to a light in a car that sounds, and slightly shakes, like a stock car is a GOOD feeling. In any case...that was an easy swap. I only had to build custom headers, custom motor mounts (a rubber bushed mounting plate across the front of the motor, to allow room for shorty headers), a custom cooling system, relocate the power steering pump and lines, remove the ABS, build a custom trans mount, beat out the trans tunnel a bit, install a custom clutch master cylinder, shorten the driveshaft, etc., etc. It was easy, because all that was just time and space management. It was a carburated engine. So all the engine management stuff was self contained. I just hooked up power to the coil, gas to the carb (with a custom regulator/return system), and made everything FIT, and ignored the old computer - just left the connections hanging, and it all works just fine. You, on the other hand, are dealing with all factory parts, pretty much (don't recall when the switch to the 4.6 came - '95 or '96. In any case, you can use mostly, if not entirely, factory parts...if you can find out WHICH ONES to use. If you're replacing a V6, you've also got tranmission issues, and the difference between the computers. It all might be plug and play...or you might have to sort out a multitude of electrical gremlins. You NEED to find someone that's done this exact swap...or several very similar, to get the straight scoop on what you have to do. If you're not pretty mechanically inclined AND pretty auto mechanics savvy...you'd be wise to leave it to someone else. People who know ABOUT someone that's done it...or know GENERALLY what you need to do stand a real likely chance of just getting you in over your head, or feeding you a bunch of mis-information. Find a shop that DOES these kind of swaps, and see if they'll let you pick their brain.

Good luck.