Help! ~ Fixing E-Brake

SeventyMach1

Keep it lubed .... keep it straight .... and keep
Mar 30, 2005
North Carolina
Attached is a picture under my console. I have already replaced the broken cable. I've already replaced the bracket under the car & attached the 2 long cables to it. I just need to know how this short cable attaches up top. The cable I'm holding is the short cable. It appears that it needs to wrap around that silver piece (it had marks from old cable). Only problem is, I can't get it around it. It doesn't seem to be near long enough. Can anyone help?

View attachment 479005

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, I just realized that the whole round silver thing has to be turned, then the cable connected, so it has tension from the spring.

New problem: how does the end of the cable sit in the groove of the round silver thing? When I turn the thing & put the cable through the groove on the outside, the end of the cable hits the braket holding the silver thing on once the spring pulls on it. Does anyone have a pic of one already connected?

BTW, thanks for the tip Chris. I put the car up on ramps to get that other stuff done .... and now I've taken it off the ramps. I really don't wanna go back & do that, but it looks like I may have to. Even if I end up doing it that way ... I need to know how the short cable connects to the inside.

SeventyMach1 said:
Just a picture of one already assembled properly would be worth a million.

Anyone?
I never messed with the e-brake but the throttle on my truck looked VERY similar to that. I had to turn the metal on the end of the cable some so the cable would slide through the opening in the round part. Then it would sit back right. Turn the silver wheel bakc as much as you can and then "fold" the end of the cable so the cable slides in the gap.

Yeah it is just like a throotle body cable.. turn it so the wire is coming off of the mount at 90' then insert it from the side. Once slid in fully rotate the cable back against the pulley. then reconnect everythign under the car.

Now you may be able to do it all at once from the top with some pliers but you don't want to crimp the cable at all either..