Help Help Help Please!!!!! Very High Idle

Ok I have a 87 gt ......replaced the whole top end New Trick Flow Intake manifold kit 65mm BBk throttle Body and Spacer Rebuilt the Fuel injectors as far as the hats and gasket's go... The only thing that was not replaced was the IAC motor, all new emmisions hoses Pvc valve gromet etc. THe car start's fine Idles to 2,000 rpm's and chokes down to 1500 ...now when i unplug the Iac motor it barely changes maybe 1 to 200 rpm's...I have adjusted the Throttle body "air adjuster" ?? all the way back it can not close anymore, it is closed all the way, I unplugged the Map sensor and the car dies like it should, unplug the throttle sensor same thing, could it be the IAC all my hoses are intact and sealed of good , push the gas and it takes awhile to decelarate[4 sec.]. PLease help it is of matter of time, have to be running by Monday...I know you guys can help ...Tmoss??? I did a search no result's. :bang: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a vacum leak. Check all your hoses. If not, try this. Ford (who would have thought) puts out a great part that's easy to install and keeps you from having to reset the voltage on the tps every time. It's called an "idle air bypass solenoid service spacer", part #f2pe-f9f39-aa. It allows adjusting the amount of air bypassed around the throttle body at idle. The idle is altered by venting air rather than adjusting the idle set screw.

voltage should be .98 v do a search for the procedure for setting tps. also check for vacume leaks. If the iac is not stuck open and is closed and unpluged. with the throttle blade closed all the way. the only way it would idle fast is a vacume leak check all vacume lines. to make sure they are connected and not cracked. also check gasket seal.

The idle speed on these cars (speed density and mass air) is controlled by the computer. The programming in the ecu provides for an idle around 675 rpm. The computer knows the rpm of the engine, and it sends signals to both the iab solenoid and occasionally ignition timing to control to that point. Many people think the screw under the throttle body is an idle speed adjuster - it's not. It's simply a throttle stop screw - keeps the throttle plate from closing too far and binding. If the car's idling too high it's because 1) the computer's telling it to do the wrong thing (unlikely given what you changed), 2) the iab solenoid or timing module can't do what the computer's telling them (unlikely given what you worked on), 3) the engine's getting too much air from some other source (very likely given what you worked on).

The throttle stop should be set by backing it off the throttle linkage, inserting a .003" feeler blade between the screw and linkage, tightening the screw until it just touches the blade, and then turning the screw 1/4 turn more. With the engine warm, and the throttle stop in that position, the tps sensor should be set to read in the .85V-.95V range. There is no performance benefit to setting it any higher than that, and the closer you get to 1V the more likely you are to have low speed and off idle mixture issues. Do not set it above .95V. After you've done that, disconnect the battery to clear out the computer and see if it will idle properly.

If it won't, but it idled fine before your swap, then it's unlikely your iab solenoid just happened to take a crap while you were doing the swap. If in doubt, pull the iab solenoid and clean it throughly. Remember it's electro-mechanical - so soap and water are no-nos. Carb or brake cleaner and small brushes to get inside it. The plunger should move freely and it should be free of scum/scuziness (technical terms) inside. The idle air bypass plate described perfectly by makarov above was a Ford recall item that inexpensively allowed Ford to get decent idles from cars that probably needed to have their throttle bodies and/or iab solenoids cleaned and/or replaced. It was a $20 fix to problems that when fixed properly would have cost Ford much more to resolve in parts and/or labor. If your throttle body and iab solenoid are clean and were working properly before the swap, the idle air plate should not be needed.

More than likely as someone above said, you have a vacuum leak. It's very common to leave something unplugged or to have cracked an old vacuum hose or broken on old plastic fitting when disconnecting and reconnecting everything. It's more common to just have forgotten to reconnect everything. Did you mark each hose that came off and the position of the manifold that you removed it from? Did you replace all the old vacuum hoses that you disconnected? Those two steps are a good rule of thumb when working on these cars - you can use it for next time. Don't forget the hose between the valve cover oil filler nipple and the throttle body - it's part of the pcv system, and not having it in place allows unmetered air to enter the intake through the pcv valve.

Ok I checked all the hosses and they are tight as a frogs' A.H. Replaced the IAC and it helped some However when i first got the car it had a surge when you would punch it, could it be the O2 sensor's over compensating I have checked the timing it is right when I put that plug back in on the distrubuter it bounces back 250 rpm's so right now it is at 1250 rpm's. The O2 sensor's have not been replaced yet what do you hink can they cause a :shrug: high Idle?????

gungfusemaj said:
Ok I checked all the hosses and they are tight as a frogs' A.H. Replaced the IAC and it helped some However when i first got the car it had a surge when you would punch it, could it be the O2 sensor's over compensating I have checked the timing it is right when I put that plug back in on the distrubuter it bounces back 250 rpm's so right now it is at 1250 rpm's. The O2 sensor's have not been replaced yet what do you hink can they cause a :shrug: high Idle?????
well anybody