HELP HELP wires r driving me nuts

78cobra347

Oct 17, 2003
Calgary Alberta
ok here's my problem

i have a 87 t/c donar car i pulled the ECM and its harness, thought that would be simple to put in the 89 2.3 n/a car
So far i noticed the coil plug is on the 89 harness but not on the t/c harness.
And on the t/c ECM harness it does not have the ECC plug for the scanner to pull codes.. What do i do about this problem? :(
any help would be so much apprecated

thx steve

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not Stinger so pardon my intrusion.

All you need from the TC is the VAM wires. The few wires that go to the Vane Air Meter. That's it.

You don't need the BAP, you've got a MAP - same thing.

Yes, you use the swap info for the '87-90 LX.

Now just to mention, not to take away from Stinger's page ( I don't think he'd mind me telling you I did the basic write up for him on the '87-90's), but there's a lot of swap pages out there and some might help one person while another page helps another better. I've got a swap page, it's different than Stinger's, you've looked at his, give mine a look, maybe it will answer some more questions you have.

GT350r and Crovax, etc also have swap pages. You can find them in the members sticky thread and go to their websites.

Sorry to butt into this thread but I was looking at both web sites and they state to unhook the MAP on an 89 car. Why is this? Is there a performance gain? Just wondering why this should be disconnected. The sites don't explain why.

Thanks

Mike

because stock the MAP sensor is measuring the Atmosphere of the Intake system on an n/a car - which is a closed system, when you remove the vacuum line from it, it is measuring the atmosphere that the car is driving around in - and that's what the turbo computer requires, which is what the BAP sensor on the turbo cars do. They are the same thing w/ different names for different applications.

I'll make this part up some:
BAP means Barometric Air Pressure Sensor
MAP means Metered Air Pressure Sensor
(they mean something like that, but I forget).

-hope that helps.

oh yeah, and it (the computer) takes this measurement from the BAP (or former Map) to calculate the fuel curves. The measurement received allows for the computer to make the fuel curves as aggressive as possible (within stock parameters) with instant info from the Bap/Map.