help!!!i failed my inspection test..need help asap

zeusmoto

Feb 15, 2004
utah
alright guys, i took my 86 lx to get emmissions and inspections done today, and i failed miserably, 4 things i failed for, but only two i am worried about-
-crack in windshield (appointment to get it fixed on wednesday)
-tinted headlight covers(removable, so no worries there)
-ruptured brake line(drivers side front,this one worries me)
and the last one the guy didnt know what it was called but when you jack the car up, the front wheels move in when you push on them.
-balljoints(im guessing, this one worries me the most)
so tell me how to fix the brake lines and the mysterious reason my wheels move in when pushed . i think it is the ball joints but im not sure so help would be appreciated

---15 days to get it fixed---

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you need one or two tie rod ends and a brake line. The brake line should be pretty easy to swap. The tie rod ends you may be better off letting someone else do mostly because it requres a special tool to remove/install and because you'll need a front end alignment when it's done.

I'd check all the brake lines - if one has failed, it's likely others are close. Also, it's a job that requires a bit of care. The system will need to be bled after replacing it to get the air out. If you don't know what you're doing, you can run the master cylinder dry of fluid and get air in the master cylinder - many of which have to be pulled out and bench bled. So be careful. I'd replace all the rubber brake lines if it were mine and one had failed.

On the front end play - it could be lots of things - bearings, lower control arm bushings, ball joints, inner and/or outer tie rods, steering rack. If you don't know how to diagnose them, you'd be best off taking it to a professional who knows the front end. You don't want to take chances with front suspension or brakes.

Hadn't you noticed you were having to top up the brake fluid regularly?

Just wanted to add a few cents bout wheel play and ruptured line. I noticed my 87 had some play in the wheels when I was replacing my rotors. I'd never replaced the bearings so I was just taking a logical guess. Figured hell, its cheap and easy to try it. Fixed it right up. I also had a ruptured brake line on the driver's side. One day my brake pedal went almost to the floor and I heard a hiss. Don't recall that part happening to you, but I thought I'd mention it. After taking the wheel off, it was obvious where the problem was coming from. A trip to the parts store and I had it replaced in no time. Both problems were easy fixes for me. Hope yours will be too. Good Luck.