help!!! I think I've wrecked my interior with paint!

2bfeared

Dec 7, 2009
Hey guys,

I've recently removed the interior of my 95 mustang to re-paint it in hopes of restoring it.

Anyways, I am pretty sure I've used the wrong paint. I got Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint and I tried it on the door panel.

It turned out to be pretty glossy and the top portion of the door (the softer material) turned like a very dark blue color.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Can I just paint over top of it or do I need to sand it down?

What type of paint should I use? I tried Duplicolor trim paint (which I thought was more for metal) but it came out pretty good on the door sill when I tried it. Would it be okay to keep using this paint or should I be getting something else?

Thanks,

Shawn

• Sponsors (?)

I've always had great luck with SEM products, you can get them at most any auto paint supply store. I have no experience with duplicolor however.

I've also used the paints you get from Late Model Resto. and Texas Mustang with great results. These paints are made specifically for this purpose.

Keep in mind if you paint over top of paint, the finish will keep getting kinda smoother and will look weird and not textured like it was before. I'd say peal it off if you can and start over.

The color on the interior is black and I am just painting it black again.

The other duplicolor trim paint I used looks great and applied well. I guess the vinyl one is not the right product.

I will try the paint thinner to see if I can remove the crappy stuff.

Thanks everyone for the tips!!

I will try the paint thinner to see if I can remove the crappy stuff.

Thanks everyone for the tips!!

Just so you know paint thinner and lacquer thinner are not the same. Lacquer thinner will dissolve paint and I have no idea what it may do to vinyl. I would try it in an inconspicuous place. Paint thinner will have no affect on dried/cured paint.

Well, most of the vinyl interior pieces are molded in black vinyl, so they really can't fade. They dry out mostly and look faded. Usually applying some kind of protectant will over time make them look good again... at least that's the way it works for me.

There are pieces that are painted and you can start to see the color underneath come through. I think they generally put black over grey most of the time.