Help I want a 5.0 :p

terramir

Nov 5, 2004
:D Okies I need instructions one step at a time here
Can't really find the right forum for this so I post it here.
the Car :
1986 Mustang LX hatchback ------> to 1986 mustang GT BUT with AOD!!!!
The problems:
#1 I need alot of info
#2 I'm gonna do most of it myself
#3 it's gonna be in stages (tranny first My c3 (or c5) is fried. :bang:

The pluses ++++
I live in Los Angeles which means like 6 times a year I can get parts dirt cheap (50% off in pick a part)
So I will be able to pull the K member, the tranny, the tranny member, the 5.0 engine the computer the Fi system and so on
And at dirt cheap prices all I will need are some rebuilt kits and well I'll have the cylinders mashined instead of doing that myself.
Why you might say go through this insanity, well

#1 buying another car is out of the question (at least not another decent mustang and dag namit I want my mustang :cool:

#2 I am stubborn and I'm gonna get my car done and if I spend more money than it's worth in sale value I dun give a darn at least in the end I'll have a reliable car for about 50000 - 100000miles with some TLC and I'll be pulling another 5.0 and tranny as back-up when I have the spare cash and start rebuilding those.
Dirt cheap parts and a little TLC can get me a long way.

#3 the amount of rust on the body is very little for an 18 year old car, I've seen worse 5 year old cars any and all rust is due to misstreatment and slight accidents nothing that can't be eliminated for good.

#4 I just want to do it I mean it can't be that difficult the body is the same on the 5.0 and the 2.3 the AOD fit under the 3.8 also same body. and well I hate stick shift well one of these days I'll get used to one (i'll pull one of those eventually too :p )
Now that you know you can't talk me out of it :nice:

The questions:

#1 The AOD the downshifted by TV instead of kickdown which my 2.3 with YFA carb uses how do I convet this for now and how do I change this later for the 5.0 FI. Also this member everybody is talking about is that the transmission mount like the motor mount or is it something bigger that attaches to the frame? Also what years and models have the AOD and how do I recognize it. Also how do I convert from a kickdown (someone told me c3 had it to TV cable) ?

#2 the K member how do I remove one from another 1979- 1986 and put it on there also will the one from a thunderbird 5.0 do?

#3 there is a lot more I got to think about need to know Feel free to e-mail (PM) me with all relevant factors I need to take into account.

#4 will the U joint/ drive shaft from an LX be able to handle the strain of 200 HP or do I need to replace that too?
( I already know I need to replace the shocks and struts for the engine change also the springs will need to be exchanged, Question here go with the springs from a 5.0 mustang or go with other springs since I need to account for the wear and tear.

Thanks for all your knowledge in advance this will be a piece-meal project and the tranny comes first.
terramir

PS: I promise to post pics when I have them the more constructive help I get the faster the pics of this conversion project will go along.
[8D]
PS moderators feel free to move it or copy it to a more appropriate forum heading just PM me plz

• Sponsors (?)