HELP ID 65 disk brakes

I just took all of the stock suspension and brakes off of my 65 fastback (put on a heidt's Mustang II kit) and am wanting to sell the original parts. It had front disk brakes on it when I bought it. My problem is I don't know how to tell if it is original front disks, or a granada swap. I do not want to misrepresent the parts when I sell them. These parts are extremly clean, and most of them appear to be brand new. I bought the car as someone's unfinished project so I do not know the history. I would greatly apreciate any help.

• Sponsors (?)

co6b5ra said:
The heidts stuff is awsome. I am a fabricator, and was very impressed with the quality. It only took 10 hours for the install-took longer to cut apart than to put back together.

SWEEET!

Do you have any suggestions for the rear? Im thinking about going with the Martz chassis 4 link. I cant find any others that look good.
http://www.martzchassis.net/mustangrearinstall
Take a look and let me know what you think. Im a youngin trying to get good at this stuff.
I pretty much got everything I need, I just wish I had a plasma cutter, there so cool.

Luis

I have stock disc brakes from the factory on my mustang, how would they compare to the brakes in the Heidts kit? Which ones are better? I know stock have 4 pistons and heidts have 1 big one. Im just curious. Thanks

personally i think the stock 4 piston calipers are miles above the single piston calipers in the heidts kit. also, if the heidts kit uses stock mustang-II brakes the rotors are only like 10" in dia., not sure if heidst uses stock M-II brakes or not, but you need to check and find out. honestly the only advantages i can see to the M-II kit would be more engine bay room, rack and pinion and for cars rhat came with drum brakes the kit has discs. the disadvantages outweigh the advantages though IMHO. the stock early stang suspension is a better handling/cornering suspension with a few minor mods than any aftermarket M-II suspension will ever be, in fact a stock M-II suspension is probably better than an aftermarket M-II kit, i personally don't like the fact that the aftermarket kits do away with the strut rods even if the lower control arm was converted to a true A-arm style setup. your choices for big disc brake kits are more limited and probably THE most important, the loss of structural integrity due to the loss of the shock towers. the shock towers are what holds the whole front end of the car together and gives it stregth. the M-II kits take away all that support and do not replace it with anything other than a stronger crossmember, but that stronger X-member does'nt do any good if it's mounted to thin sheetmetal "frame rails"

Finally someone who agrees with me. I think everything bnickel said is right on the money.

Another point he didn't mention is that the single piston calipers are floating calipers as opposed to the 4 piston which are a fixed type. Fixed calipers are more effecient then floating calipers.

That is correct. With a floating caliper, part of the braking force is distributed to moving the caliper through its "floating" range. This is why a fixed caliper is more efficient. Also, with a fixed caliper you don't need to worry about sticking slide pins =)