Help installing roller rockers...

66sprint6

Oct 5, 2005
Ive searched and searched and found some awesome info, but non covering two things Ive uncovered while tryin to install some roller rockers on my mustang.

We did a set of early trick flow twisted wedge heads and got some Crane Gold roller rockers to go with it. They are pedestal mount. The passenger side went smooth, took 2 thick shims and all was well. Got to the drivers side and as we would start to torque the bolt, the valve would start opening. We shimmed some more and finally got it to stop, but it took 2 thicks and 1 somtimes 2 thin shims to work. Is that right or is somethin up? Another thing I wasnt sure of and need help on is the lifter. The motor has no oil in it and hasnt run in a week...is it ok to set these things with no oil in the lifters at all or should I add oil, prime the system then go again? I appreciate any help guys...I just wanna get this thing runnin again!
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Did you check each valve when closed with the cam on the base circle, ie, tdc on the firing stroke? If you did that, either cylinder by cylinder, or by indexing and checking several, then you should be good to go.

The lifters should hold enough oil, that they are in the normal up position. When you determined what you think was the correct amount of shims, the pushrod should have just gotten to where it resisted spinning easily in your fingers.

It should not hurt to crank it and see if it runs ok. If any are too tight you will have low vacuum and missing. If only too loose, should make some clicking noise.

Thanks for the help, i went to a local Mustang shop and picked their brains for a bit and got some info. Im gonna try a few things out and see what happens this weekend!
Matt