Help make sure I get a complete turbo block, HELP!

Well as y'all know I have begun amassing parts for a turbo mill. So far I have a nice bare oval port head and a new distributor.
A block I had been watching on eBay is back on due to a non-paying bidder who outbid me a month or so ago. The seller said he would relist this month. It is back on auction again with almost five days to go.
My question is this: the block is in great shape(no ridges, good cylinder walls) and is pictured with the Auxillary cam front seal cover. A front timing cover is also listed. Are these the only two covers I need(besides the timing belt cover)?
Ya may as well have a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nice...ewItemQQcategoryZ33613QQitemZ7995041041QQrdZ1

I am not the bidder, I will bid at the end.
Assume nothing and give me all the info YOU think I need.
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Alternate plan maybe!?

I am a cheap SOB! Lets look at this block.It has no crank, pistons, or rods.
no manifolds or any of the other stuff. Plus it must be shipped from Cali to Va.
Turbo swap is a real expensive bear if you buy the parts one by one.
Have you checked the local boneyards for a complete motor?
Learn to recognize the cars that have the turbo motors. Then keep your eyes open.
Just start asking people..parts store guy, pizza delivery guy, guy with the "project" looking Mustang at the gas pump.
Blow a Saturday and go to garage sales in local towns while using the above skills. Put a note on the bullitin board at the local college.
Put a note in an EZ-Mart or several.
I started looking for a 5-speed 5.0 vert a while back and was amazed at how well just asking around worked. Brother was in on the search so he found the first gem..1984 GT turbo vert! Pizza guy search netted me an 83 5.0 vert and two 91 2.3 verts. Mustang guys working on their car steered me to an 88 turbo-coupe, a set of pony wheels and a T-5 tranny. Learning to notice turbo cars got me an 86 turbo coupe (Local "We Buy Your Title" place)and a talking relationship with an 88 T-coupe (helped him fix it).
Spotted 2 Mercurs that I haven't checked on.
Newspaper, Greensheet, Pennysaver, American classified all are decent sources.
Friendship with the driver at the local towing place netted much good stuff.
Personally, the added cost of finding all the misc. parts far outways the price of finding a complete car with problems and rebuilding the broken parts. I hope you get as luck as I have as my turbo finds..one was a rustbucket but has a beautiful running motor (after I fixed the tear in the intake hose) and the 88 was a blown A4LD tranny that had a beat rear fender and donated its rear end to a Mustang.
Bruce

Racer Walsh

I think it would also be a good idea to take a look at the blocks Racer Walsh has to offer. You choose the pisons, cranks etc. and you can specify a block that they call "turbo ready". The blocks have been hot tanked and all that stuff. I bet it would be like a brand new engine. :)

I comprendo!

Sounds like you want to do a slow build. Build a killer over time as funds and knowledge allow. This can be a great thing and very satisfying. My own plans are similar as I plan to put the 86 turbo motor in fairly stock while building the 88 as a killer motor. I would still try for a fairly complete motor though. Bolts and brackets, fittings and hoses are nice to have for comparison even if your motor will have 95% aftermarket and modified parts.
I know nearly every abitious progect I have done has a few glitches that I could hav overcome if I had more complete parts donor.
T-5 swap went like this...Pull A4LD and pedals..2 hours.
Install t-5 and pedals 4 hours.
Wrong driveshaft fix...little clip that I didn't have..pulling parts back apart to replace that part I should have replaced earlier..proper flywheel bolts..wiring research that was really "Oh So Simple"...3 weeks!!!
Have fun!
Bruce

egnorant said:
Sounds like you want to do a slow build. Build a killer over time as funds and knowledge allow. This can be a great thing and very satisfying. My own plans are similar as I plan to put the 86 turbo motor in fairly stock while building the 88 as a killer motor. I would still try for a fairly complete motor though. Bolts and brackets, fittings and hoses are nice to have for comparison even if your motor will have 95% aftermarket and modified parts.
I know nearly every abitious progect I have done has a few glitches that I could hav overcome if I had more complete parts donor.
T-5 swap went like this...Pull A4LD and pedals..2 hours.
Install t-5 and pedals 4 hours.
Wrong driveshaft fix...little clip that I didn't have..pulling parts back apart to replace that part I should have replaced earlier..proper flywheel bolts..wiring research that was really "Oh So Simple"...3 weeks!!!
Have fun!
Bruce

That is exactly my plan, build slow "as funds and knowledge allow", but aim high. If I am able to get this block I plan to build for atleast 300 flywheel hp.

I agree with you on the donor mill thing, but I don't have the bucks to grab up a turbocoupe right now, there is one in the local paper right now for $800 OBO, but I'm a little short of that, also I have so many other projects going that are taking up my finances-not the least of which are the model cars, and competition is in October.

So I'm taking the long route, atleast if I can get a block I have it started, and I can pick up small stuff as I see it...

Thanks Bruce!

Maybe I'm just lucky

Deals are still out there! It does say OBO! 88 turbo-bird, friend of a friend deal was $100, 86 Was driven off the lot ..fully legal and good tires for $400!
Check on the motor in the paper. Get a talking relationship with the guy if possible. Tell him what you have for the project and leave it at that. If someone comes and buys it...good for him. There will be another if you keep looking. But,
It may not sell! He may be hoping that someone is aching to have it NOW and will pay his price. A week down the road he may feel differently.
As I have stated I am a cheap SOB. I usually only get about 1 in 20 of the deals I make an offer on and I still have WAY too much stuff.
Bruce