Help me and my g/f out! Buying another Stang!

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Well she is in school now... And is low on cash. Her 93 2.3 l mustang is slowly dieing... She needs a way to get to and from school. She took out a loan for school and got $4000 back for a car.. I found here a GT but it needs some work... I wanted to know if you guys could give your opinion or help me out with some body parts is anyone in the north east has any sitting...

here is the car:
96 mustang gt many upgrades!!!! Must go now!!

Sounds like it runs alright.. Slight grinding/whirl noise when driving think its just rust on the rotors from sitting. Sounds nice no cel. or anything... But the body is rough. The fender has a has a decent dent in and the bumper is hanging low aparently he got backed in 2.

I think i can talk him down.. he already said he would do $2,000 i kinda want her to have a 5.0 but cant find a good deal on one... I was wondering if i should do this... and pick up this car for her... like i said some body problems... and some squeeking/clicking over bumps as well as ****ty 1 peice projectors.

Does anyone have for cheap or to give away:
a front bumper.
a back bumper.
2 fenders
drives seat

The paint is bad on the back and spots on the car... how much does a macco job cost and have it look decent... she wants it pink or black.

• Sponsors (?)

Not to be a dick but if I were you I would get a 98 Honda Civic with around 100K miles. It will run reliably forever. Plenty of time after college for a mustang. Not to mention being poor in college and the cost of gas. Plus insurance, tires, etc etc etc

Just my .02.

Adam

ive been trying to talk her in to a honda... she said no... she only wants her mustang... she wonr even settle for a celica... the only 4 cyls.. i talked her in to was a focus... it has to be a zx3 and black... And the mustang has to be black as well... And its slim pickings around here...
Here is what i sent the owner of the mustang:
Still up in the air about the stang. did you sell it yet? A few things bothered me about it. The fact that the headlights would need to be replaced because they are not dot approved, the e-brake would also need to be fixed as well as the front bumper needs to be aligned. there is also obviously a short in the front drivers seat which keeps popping the fuses. It could also use a new fender and paint. Also when we took it for a drive i heard some popping when we hit bumps and a whirling when cruising. I was wondering when you got the suspension work done did they do just shocks and struts or did they do ball joints and tierod ends as well? The whirling could just be due to rusty rotors from sitting or could be a wheel bearing.
thanks,
adam

Here was his reply:
Headlights are dot approved it is stamped right on the front of the light. The e-brake, bumper, paint, and fender is why this car is only 2,000.00.
Shocks, struts, bushings, and one ball joint where replaced no tierod ends. As for the seat that just started not sure why, but if just you drives it you wont need to move it.
the car was in the air and the tires didnt wiggle in and out so the bearings are fine.
Keep in mind this car has less than 100 miles on it in less than 2 years.
if you get it get a tune up and e brake fixed and its good as new. tranny has less than 40,000 miles on it.
bottom line is there is no car for 2,000 that can come close to mine. go on e-bay/craigslist and look.
as for the whirling you seem to know enough not to be mistaken the whistle from the cold air for the whirling, the rotors are rusty i justed look.
anyway let me know

For a daily driver it doesn't sound bad. I would be more concerned about the mechanical aspect of the car over how it looks. Considering it will get scratched and dinged at some point, because other people just don't care.

If you are set on doing some paint work, I want to say Maaco does stuff for like $500-1000???
I would imagine if you could do some of the prep work yourself, you might save some money.

I think he has a point about the price. Down here $2k will get you an okay pre-99 V6 Mustang.

My only concern would be that if he killed the 4r70w in 89K miles, how long does that 4.6 have left?

this is my biggest concern... no smoke no odd smells... but he said he got pulled over and got 11 tickets... and when he took me for a ride the first thing he did was open it up... which is kinda a douche bag thing to do... if your looking for a DD for your g/f

Im going to go take another look at the car today and try to see exactly what needs to be done... My friend chris said there is a great maaco about an hour away that his dad used with great results... His g/f also just overheated the 98 cobra... so hes putting in an ls1 :( he said that kirsten (my g/f) could have the front seats... So now thats one less thing i need.

Is there anything i should look for??? should i do a compression test on a random cyl or something if he lets me. If so anyone know the stock compression for a 96 4.6???

It is all in the overall condition of the car... Open the oil filler, what do you see junk or milk or jsut god ol fashioned goodness... Stuff like that... Is the trans fluid dark, or even OVERLY clean...

However for the price and how you said it runs you are probably getting a pretty good deal...

Have you thought about painting it yourself?

When I think about what Adam (GTS) said, what comes to mind is that cheap and dependable (but not fast) can be found in something like a used econobox.

When it comes to rides for the women in our lives, I would try not to screw around. Get a solid car. Anything less is a big gamble and a big repair wipes out all savings and then some, let alone that you dont want your GF stranded numerous times or having to deal with a car that doesn't act quite right.

If getting an older stang, I try to apply my used-literbike-buying mantra. Try to hold out for something maturely owned and professionally maintained. There are puffs like that out there, but they're tough to find. And often the puff owners do well enough that they can take a hit on the sale - they want the car to go to a decent owner because they appreciated the car for so long themselves.

Just my humble outlook. Best of luck with finding a good ride for her. :nice:

When I think about what Adam (GTS) said, what comes to mind is that cheap and dependable (but not fast) can be found in something like a used econobox.

When it comes to rides for the women in our lives, I would try not to screw around. Get a solid car. Anything less is a big gamble and a big repair wipes out all savings and then some, let alone that you dont want your GF stranded numerous times or having to deal with a car that doesn't act quite right.

If getting an older stang, I try to apply my used-literbike-buying mantra. Try to hold out for something maturely owned and professionally maintained. There are puffs like that out there, but they're tough to find. And often the puff owners do well enough that they can take a hit on the sale - they want the car to go to a decent owner because they appreciated the car for so long themselves.

Just my humble outlook. Best of luck with finding a good ride for her. :nice:

Exactly. Also keep in mind, if you are this involved in getting her a mustang, and you are in charge of "vetting" the choices, then if anything happens with that car YOU are fixing it, its YOUR fault, and YOU should have done something differently.

My brother just picked up a 1999 Honda Civic 5 speed, totally mint with 91K on it and aftermarket sound system installed by the owner, for 5.5K. Something like that is what she should be looking at. That car will run for another 150K miles with regular fluid changes only. And its cheap as dirt to insure and knocks down 30+ MPG all day long.

Adam

I know ive even found her a 95 accord that my parents friends would sell me for under $2k with only 80k on it. My girl is picky and refuses to drive it. I was going to Spend my $$$ on it for her for her to drive untill she finds a stang then just clean it up and flip it when we find her a stang. But... she wont drive it. She wants a mustang... im finding cleaner ones at the 4k mark but its more then she wants to spend and she thinks this is here only chance at owning a mustang and only wants to spend 3k. For some damn reason... when im looking for a 5speed for my self i cant find them... But when i NEED an AODE... all i find is t-5's and i dont wanna do a t-5 to aode swap. If i could just find a decent 94-95 it would be great... I have so many extra parts...