help me, belts and pullies

98slowbra

Apr 19, 2005
I have been through 4 factory altenators in my 1998 cobra, I have decided to get a high output alt. for the cobra. The pulley that is on the new alt. is a little bit smaller then what I have now. The people who sell the alt. say I might need a new belt that is 1/2" or 1/4" smaller or it really depends how many miles are on the car to see if the current belt will work, and some dont need to change the belt size depending on the miles on the car the idle pully how worn out it is. I called ford and asked them if they could intstall it and they said sure but if the pully is smaller this alt. will not go on your car. I said that it might need a belt that is smaller and I talked to parts and they said that there is only ONE belt that will fit on my 98 cobra and I will not be able to find a smaller belt my cobra. I am not a mechanic, so I dont know what to do, I know people put super chargers on there cobras and change out pulleys all the time so where do you people find these belts that you need that are smaller or bigger when changing this stuff out? Please let me know there has to be some belts that are a bit smaller for the 1998 mustang cobra.

• Sponsors (?)

First of all. TRY IT! underdrive pulleys work on these cars with the stock belt. The crank pulley is alot smaller, and the water pump and alternator are a little bigger. If the belt wont get tight enough, use an air impact gun and take the nut and pulley off your old alternator and put it on your new alternator. Good luck