help me build my 4.6

mnmusclemustang

Mar 2, 2011
i am in process of building up my 1998 4.6 gt i have p.i heads ported, polished, 5 angle valve job, margins cut off to clear the custom grind cams(think stage 2 plus) bbk cold air, underdrives, typhoon intake manifold, 3.73 rear end. i need an intake plenum/throttle body, do i get the bbk throttle intake or the accufab 75mm setup. which headers slash crossover i am leaning tword mac. i would like suggestions

• Sponsors (?)

My suggestions;

Get rid of the BBK cold air intake and get a JLT. Also, get rid of the typhoon intake, they are notorious for heatsoaking. For your combo, the stock PI intake it plenty. If you have the $, get the Accufab 75mm plenum and throttle body, they are super nice. As for headers, it's all about how much $ you want to spend. I know some long tubes will not let you drop the transmission unless you remove one of the headers. I would look into that. Im sure other people can chime in on that.

so the accufab then... as for headers money is not an issue at all.. i paid $500 for the car from a friend.. why the jlt cold air? the target is 350-400 horses. i will be supercharging it next year. i do have a stock p.i. manifold as well.. and am doing a chip and dyno tune

so the accufab then... as for headers money is not an issue at all.. i paid $500 for the car from a friend.. why the jlt cold air? the target is 350-400 horses. i will be supercharging it next year. i do have a stock p.i. manifold as well.. and am doing a chip and dyno tune

Why the JLT? Because have you noticed how bright and shiny the bbk one is? The metal soaks up heat and the JLT is a carbon fiber one. I'm not sure how much its worth since you already have the bbk (I still have it and spent money elsewhere first). The bet mod you can do before the supercharger will be gears and then some subframes.

JLT's are not carbon fiber. They are actually made out of PVC pipe.

Like dude said, the BBK's heat soak really bad.

Sounds like it's going to be a sweet set up tho. Are you still using your non PI short block? If so, that's going to bump your compression up pretty good. I vote nitrous, but I'm a nitrous junkie :D

planning on 3.73 ford racing gears as the dealer near my house sells all its ford racing stuff at 10% over cost. this fall am planning frame ties(it is a convertable) and tubular k member and tubular control arms maybe a 1" drop too but need to pick headers and crossover(offroad) and tb/plenum.

Sorry for the double post, but are you going with a roots style (kenne bell, tork teck, ect.) or with a centi? (procharger, vortech, paxton, ect ect.).

Only reason I ask, is that if you go with a roots style blower, there is no need to mess with buying a plenum, because the blower will replace it, You will just need a TB. With either kit, there is no need in buying a different cold air intake, because the kit will come with it's own inlet system.

If money literally is no issue, I would buy either some Kooks long tubes, or the SLP long tubes with their matching X pipe.

Just my .2 cents, but you could easily reach your goal of 350-400 rwhp with a nitrous kit. I just finished installing a NX 2v plate kit on my car, and man it's a nice kit. For the price, you can't beat it.